[SOLVED] I cant decide on new CPU

Sep 18, 2020
I have and old I7-4770 cpu with EVGA 1060 6gb
I think is time to update everything with the new RTX 3000 series.. i will buy the new 3070 or 3080
What CPU do you think is the best for gaming with the new RTX
PRICE/VALUE...

-Ryzen 5 3600
-Ryzen 7 3700x
-I5 10600k

Or should i speed more on the CPU and buy a i7 10850k... price/valuee...

Solution
The Ryze 3600 is the overall value king while the i5-10600k with a mild OC is the mid-range gaming performance king if your priority is hitting 144+Hz in the most games possible today without breaking the bank.

If you want something more future-proof and don't mind being 10-15% behind the i5 on gaming performance in current titles, then the 3700X can also be a fine pick.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I would try to decide between the Ryzen 7 3700x and the i5 10600k. Personal preferance? i5. Why? most games still use single core performance and at 4.8 boost single core boost clock the i5 is unbeatable. I've had only horrors installing AMD cpus since i once wanted to change the CPU cooler and the CPU stuck onto the cooler. I'll never forget that. If you say its only for gaming i5. If you are a fancy 3d artist ryzen 7. Hope i could help

InvalidError

Titan
The Ryze 3600 is the overall value king while the i5-10600k with a mild OC is the mid-range gaming performance king if your priority is hitting 144+Hz in the most games possible today without breaking the bank.

If you want something more future-proof and don't mind being 10-15% behind the i5 on gaming performance in current titles, then the 3700X can also be a fine pick.

Solution

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
If you've already got really high frequency ram that ryzen 7 will be an absolute godsend, but if not, the price might not be worth as much and you should go for the i5 for Burigeller's reasons. The reason I say this is because at your price point the 20$ difference between them is minimal, and you will not see any difference between the two unless you've got some good frequency ram for that ryzen 7. At that point you save 20$ and get better performance. Can't beat that.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
If you've already got really high frequency ram that ryzen 7 will be an absolute godsend, but if not, the price might not be worth as much and you should go for the i5 for Burigeller's reasons. The reason I say this is because at your price point the 20$ difference between them is minimal, and you will not see any difference between the two unless you've got some good frequency ram for that ryzen 7. At that point you save 20$ and get better performance. Can't beat that.
I should add that I currently use the ryzen 5 3600 and it kicks absolute tush on the rx 5700. It could definitely take a much larger beating, but I needed all the cores for video editing. You will likely fare well with the lowest tier 3000 card, but don't expect go get much further than that on the 3600.

InvalidError

Titan
How is an i5 with 4.8 boost core a mid-range gaming CPU? honestly no bad blood, just curiosity<3
It is 6c12t, under $300, and there are two other CPU tiers above it.

As I wrote earlier, if the priority is 144+Hz, the 10600k is currently the most cost-effective way to get there in most current titles. There are many titles where Ryzen simply cannot get there no matter what due to latency between CCXes.

I have the ryzen 3600 and it's a fine cpu. It's close to an i7 8700. The 3700x is worth considering.

To throw you off more, AMD is probably releasing CPUs in the next month or so to their new 4000 series. I heard 10-15% improvement is what they are hoping for. So that would put them right there with intel again. Either of those options is going to be just fine.

I have and old I7-4770 cpu with EVGA 1060 6gb
I think is time to update everything with the new RTX 3000 series.. i will buy the new 3070 or 3080
What CPU do you think is the best for gaming with the new RTX
PRICE/VALUE...

-Ryzen 5 3600
-Ryzen 7 3700x
-I5 10600k

Or should i speed more on the CPU and buy a i7 10850k... price/valuee...
If you settle on the Ryzen 5 3600, wait for a sale to drop the price by $30-40 to around $160-170. Use the "saved" money for a decent $30-50 120mm tower CPU cooler.

dimtodim

Reputable
I would try to decide between the Ryzen 7 3700x and the i5 10600k. Personal preferance? i5. Why? most games still use single core performance and at 4.8 boost single core boost clock the i5 is unbeatable. I've had only horrors installing AMD cpus since i once wanted to change the CPU cooler and the CPU stuck onto the cooler. I'll never forget that. If you say its only for gaming i5. If you are a fancy 3d artist ryzen 7. Hope i could help
cpu can stuck on any cooler no matter intel or amd...probably u put to much thermal paste...in that case only what u must do when cpu is stuck on cooler...just easily twist cooler left or right...bye

Sep 13, 2020
If you are looking for straight gaming, get an 10900k or 10850k, this one will serve you for the next 3 years easily, if you plan to do virtualization I advice towards a Ryzen 3800x or 3900x. 3rd gen Threadrippers are overkill for most people.

If we are talking about all around budget a 3600 is indeed the pick of choice.

Whichever chip is going to work fine. Especially as resolution goes up you will have a harder time telling a difference between them.

For the person who pulled up an AMD cpu, I get it. I've done that. The fix for that is easy.

1. Start up your system
  2. Run it for 5 minutes or so to heat up the paste
  3. Power system off
  4. Disconnect cpu fan
  5. Twist cooler corner to corner.
  6. You should feel the cooler break loose from the cpu.
  7. Lift cooler off, clean cpu with a soft cloth. Some guys use isopropyl alcohol, which is fine also. I've had good luck with a soft cloth. Just make sure you get as much of the old paste off as you can.

Personally, I like to use Arctic silver 5. There are newer pastes out there, but that's what works for me.

TRENDING THREADS