Question I can't format my usb drive in any way.

mycdnprince

Commendable
Mar 5, 2021
I need help formatting my usb flash drive. I tried diskpart in so many ways but nothing has worked for me so far...

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 298 GB 0 B
Disk 1 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 NTFS Partition 100 MB Healthy System
Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 297 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 2 G Removable 0 B No Media

DISKPART> select volume 2
Volume 2 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> format fs=ntfs

Virtual Disk Service error:
The volume is not formattable.

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough.

But do remember that I (or anyone else for that matter) do not/did not know what you have done and tried until you posted so.

Basically, if you have gone through all those actions without a successful format, then the USB drive may simply be defective.

There are other things to try but I will leave those ideas and suggestions to someone else.

Reactions: mycdnprince

mycdnprince

Commendable
Mar 5, 2021
Fair enough.

But do remember that I (or anyone else for that matter) do not/did not know what you have done and tried until you posted so.

Basically, if you have gone through all those actions without a successful format, then the USB drive may simply be defective.

There are other things to try but I will leave those ideas and suggestions to someone else.
Here's something interesting. I have two desktop acer computers (identical) giving me the same problem on both for my Lexar flash drive. However, I just put this flash drive in my ASUS Tablet and it works fine. Go figure? Any idea why this would be?

mycdnprince

Commendable
Mar 5, 2021
I just got off the phone with Lexar for my flash drive and their people tell me the flash drive is fried. How that happened, I don't know, but not good news. Thanks for taking the time to reply. You too, Ralston18. Much appreciated!