Question I can't update my BIOS from my GA-AB350M-Gaming 3-CF.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
D

Deleted member 2947362

When I enter my bios by pressing the DELL key, on the bottom right there is a button called Q-flash, when I press it, a little window appears saying "No device found" and it does not let me enter the file browser that is inside of the "Q-flash" button
well I'm stumped then? unless you have something like a USB external HDD to try it on that's been formatted GPT ntfs I'm out of out idea's

other than total reinstall of windows 10 and updates then using the EC FW install then @ bios app because something in your OS is stopping it by the sound of things.

D

Deleted member 2947362

When I enter my bios by pressing the DELL key, on the bottom right there is a button called Q-flash, when I press it, a little window appears saying "No device found" and it does not let me enter the file browser that is inside of the "Q-flash" button
Cuidado-con-la-ultima-BIOS-de-la-Gigabyte-X370-K7-lleva-el-voltaje-a-1.7v-a-los-procesadores-Ryzen.jpg
Ok bear with me I just went and tested this in my BIOS

click on q-flash

then click on the picture (a graphical picture of a chip looking thing where USB stick would normally be selected if you was updating from USB a stick)

Then you can select the the c drive (it wont be listed as C: drive but its the unknown drives)

when selecting you may or should see 3 unknown drives
I selected the middle unknown drive which is root C on my system

Then you will see all the files and folders that's on root C

You can now find where you put the bios file

I suggest you create a folder on root c and name it BIOS in cap's so it stands out and place the new BIOS file in there.

That's how I have done it in the past with no issues with this/my motherboard.

I just tested this on my board make sure once you clicked q-flash, in the next screen click the picture of the usb looking chip/device or whatever it looks like to you.

That will take you to another screen where at the bottom you can select targe drive and find the unknown drives.

sozz about edits its 2.53 am lol

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I downloaded the application "EC FW update Tool" and when I go to run the program called ECFwUpdate I get this error:
Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-14-213947.png

I replaced the Flash.dll file with a new one and now the program does not open directly

If I try to run the program called IFU_XE32 directly, it opens and tells me that it can't read the bin file (disable my antivirus to see if that was the problem and nothing)

Did you right click - run as administrator?

If those files are zipped, copy them to a new folder on desktop before running EC update as administrator.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Other things you could try when trying to get EC FW and @ BIOS to install correctly

1. temp disable core isolation, in windows security then select device security (if its turned on)

2. Make sure in windows security- app & Browser Control -Exploit protection settings - force randomisation for images (mandatory ASLR) is off by default.

3. in your motherboards bios make you have virtualisation disabled, it's in MIT, advanced frequency, advanced CPU settings , disable SVM.

You can turn everything back on after you used @ BIOS to upgrade or have your motherboard BIOS fully updated.

I strongly advise you to also upgrade the EC FW before going to the later bios it only has to be done once.

Other than that and the things that have already been suggested, I'm sorry I cant help you any further, I'm out of Idea's at this point.

Like I have said, I had none of the issues you seem to be having to update my motherboard's BIOS.

But, Windows 11 has been a total nightmare though, that's why I used windows 10, until I had the motherboard EC FW and BIOS updated, that was when I used gigabyte app center and @ BIOS.

I'm running the latest BIOS and windows 11 now though, but none of gigabytes software apps like app center etc

I could\can only get app center and its apps to work correctly under windows 10, why? I don't know, prob's something to do with windows 11 smart app control i can only assume.

I still say windows 11 security smart app can be, well IS a nightmare sometimes even when trying to install well known and safe software or drivers.

So good luck with windows 11 if your using it or going to upgrade to it :)

May 13, 2023
Did you right click - run as administrator?

If those files are zipped, copy them to a new folder on desktop before running EC update as administrator.
Yes, run it as administrator, change the compatibility to windows 7/xp and it still doesn't work, all this from a folder on the desktop (I never open files from the compressed one)

May 13, 2023
Other things you could try when trying to get EC FW and @ BIOS to install correctly

1. temp disable core isolation, in windows security then select device security (if its turned on)

2. Make sure in windows security- app & Browser Control -Exploit protection settings - force randomisation for images (mandatory ASLR) is off by default.

3. in your motherboards bios make you have virtualisation disabled, it's in MIT, advanced frequency, advanced CPU settings , disable SVM.

You can turn everything back on after you used @ BIOS to upgrade or have your motherboard BIOS fully updated.

I strongly advise you to also upgrade the EC FW before going to the later bios it only has to be done once.

Other than that and the things that have already been suggested, I'm sorry I cant help you any further, I'm out of Idea's at this point.

Like I have said, I had none of the issues you seem to be having to update my motherboard's BIOS.

But, Windows 11 has been a total nightmare though, that's why I used windows 10, until I had the motherboard EC FW and BIOS updated, that was when I used gigabyte app center and @ BIOS.

I'm running the latest BIOS and windows 11 now though, but none of gigabytes software apps like app center etc

I could\can only get app center and its apps to work correctly under windows 10, why? I don't know, prob's something to do with windows 11 smart app control i can only assume.

I still say windows 11 security smart app can be, well IS a nightmare sometimes even when trying to install well known and safe software or drivers.

So good luck with windows 11 if your using it or going to upgrade to it :)
Thanks, I'll try that last one and if it doesn't work then I'll have to reinstall my operating system

D

Deleted member 2947362

If you have no other option but to reinstall Windows 10

In the install process delete all the partition's on drive C and let the install process sort out drive C partitions.

Once you have deleted all partitions just press next for the install process to continue don't worry if it askes for a key, just click I don't have a key and then select your version of windows 10, like home edition for example then click continue.

Once your online and log into your microsoft account it will automatically sort out your licence key and be activated but I'm guessing you know all that already right?

keep SVM disabled when re-installing windows, you can enabled it after you have your BIOS updated to the latest if you feel you need it enabled for part of windows security features, it just helps rule out another possible conflict but shouldn't really be necessary.

It would be interesting to know why your board won't update using the BIOS q-flash I can only think it's the wrong BIOS file or the USB stick your updating from could be part of the issue due to USB compatibility update list's
so trying a different brand USB stick may work?

either way the amount of time spent trying to diagnose the cause it would of been probs quicker just to reinstalled and start from scratch in the first place lol :/

At least we would of learned something to what the issues was/is because I'm still non the wiser.

D

Deleted member 2947362

The suspense of knowing if the issue has been resolved is killing me lol

If it has been resolved they can take the Win and I'll take the Loose because I still can not figure out why the motherboards BIOS feature Q-flash kept throwing the ID error ? other than USB stick compatibility issue or it's the wrong BIOS
unless changing it to a .bin file would of worked? but still shouldn't need to do that.

Ok, I think it might also be to do with the fact its a Vermeer CPU and the motherboard needs the AMD AGESA V2 1.2.0.7 for adding Vermeer and Cezanne processors support

which is bios rev. F51g

I think you might need an older gen Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS if after reinstalling windows 10 still fails to update the BIOS.

It may also be the reason why the BIOS Q-flash feature throws up the ID error.

If that is the case then your only option now is to update the Bios using an older gen ryzen CPU until the motherboard has the newest BIOS installed.

Then install the R5 57000g cpu.

when I got this computer second hand It had an R5 1600 cpu I updated the motherboard bios when that CPU installed to update to the latest BIOS which back then was when they had just added Vermeer support for the motherboard.
It was probs 3-4 moths later I upgraded the CPU to the R5 5600 which of cause I had already upgrade the motherboard BIOS to support when the R5 1600 CPU was installed.

May 13, 2023
Deleted response was looking at something else lol. Thought i was onto something with revision saying 51 then saw later bios rev 21. Dammit.
Don't worry about it haha. I think my last option is to buy a processor from the previous generation.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Don't worry about it haha. I think my last option is to buy a processor from the previous generation.
well you could always try downloading the Vermeer supported BIOS skipping the others and see if that will work using the motherboard BIOS Q-flash option but just be aware they might be some issues with 3rd gen Ryzen CPU's and 4 sticks of ram combos if it works

I don't know if they mean the ryzen 3 series cpu's when they 3rd gen or if they mean zen 3 like the vermeer cpus?

if they mean like R5 3600 as third gen then I fairly sure that if the vermeer BIOS will install using Q-flash in the motherboard and usb stick method then should be fine using an R7 5700g

it's up to you at this point on if you want to try it or not.

D

Deleted member 2947362

If you go the route of getting older CPU to update the bios which is most likely the safest and only route, Just buy the cheapest 1st gen R5 Ryzen cpu you can get no point in getting anything better if its just to be used to up date the bios then sell it on once finished with it or keep as a reminder lol

Oh well at least it got figured out in the end, even if it should of been obvious to me from the very start of your first post so my bad lol