Question I can't update my BIOS from my GA-AB350M-Gaming 3-CF.

May 13, 2023
Greetings.
I was looking for a solution to install an AMD Ryzen 7 5700G processor on a GA AB350M-GAMING 3-CF motherboard, but I couldn't find it. Currently my motherboard has BIOS version F21, I need to update it to F31 to do this I went to the official Gigabyte page in the Support/Downloads section, in the BIOS section, I proceeded to download version F31 (in version F30 requires a chipset update which I already installed), I downloaded it, described the folder and put it on my USB formatted in FAT32 format. I restart my PC and when I enter the Bios by pressing the "Dell" key I go to the section called "Q-flash", I select the file of the F31 version and I get an error called "BIOS ID Check error" and I can't continue, I already tried double clicking, pressing the enter key and clicking on the "arrow" to continue, but nothing works.

I already tried using the next version of my BIOS, F22 and the same error persists.
I already reset the bios using the CMOS and removing the battery.

I come to this great forum to ask for help.

photo2.jpg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you unzip the bios download? Open download and copy/paste just the bios file to usb root directory. Try again. If it still fails verify what board you have. Do you still have the motherboard box?

5700g codename is Cezanne. If you can update bios to F31, after that need to update to F51g.

No need to update EC FW Update tool if use Qflash. In step 2 for some instructions it suggests to update EC FW Update tool, this is only necessary if update bios via Windows.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
May 13, 2023
Did you unzip the bios download? Open download and copy/paste just the bios file to usb root directory. Try again. If it still fails verify what board you have. Do you still have the motherboard box?

5700g codename is Cezanne. If you can update bios to F31, after that need to update to F51g.

No need to update EC FW Update tool if use Qflash. In step 2 for some instructions it suggests to update EC FW Update tool, this is only necessary if update bios via Windows.
Thank you very much for answering.
Yes, I unzipped the .rar file and it left a folder, inside it there is a file called "AB350MG3.F31", I copied that file and pasted it on the USB, I did it several times and it didn't work.

No, I no longer have the motherboard box, it was an acquisition for an improvement of another pc.

It's so weird

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I see. Your board is the small version yeah with 2 pcie slots? Not 3? Just making sure because qflash is saying the bios file is wrong for it. I don't see it being anything else? For arguments sake, even if chipset driver was required to proceed, what if the situation was that Windows hasn't even been installed yet, what are you supposed to do? Anything relating to software prior to updating bios doesn't make sense to me.

Do you have another usb stick you can try? And try connecting to usb 2 port, there's one at the back.

May 13, 2023
I see. Your board is the small version yeah with 2 pcie slots? Not 3? Just making sure because qflash is saying the bios file is wrong for it. I don't see it being anything else? For arguments sake, even if chipset driver was required to proceed, what if the situation was that Windows hasn't even been installed yet, what are you supposed to do? Anything relating to software prior to updating bios doesn't make sense to me.

Do you have another usb stick you can try? And try connecting to usb 2 port, there's one at the back.
Yes, my motherboard is the small version, I have 2 PCI ports. Right now I just finished testing all USB ports with 3 different USB drives and the problem still persists. I have no idea what it could be.

D

Deleted member 2947362

you are most likely trying the wrong bios for the motherboard, make sure you choose the correct one for your motherboard

The ID fail is most likely because it's not the bios for your rev and/or model motherboard

if you look one has reinforced PCIe slots and the other has standard PCIe slots maybe they have different BIOS ID ?

I had similar issue when I first picked up this PC until I realised the heatsink on my motherboard's VRM's is different to the motherboard web page I downloaded the BIOS from.

also some motherboards Or BIOS require you to rename the bios file after you have extracted it. (why that is ? I don't know)
There is normally a read me file that tells you what to rename the BIOS to in order for it to work.

so it might be that if it's the correct file.

read gigabytes how to flash bios it might say something about renaming in that.

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Renaming bios file is when update is done without cpu. But this board doesn't feature Qflash Plus.

Yes, my motherboard is the small version, I have 2 PCI ports. Right now I just finished testing all USB ports with 3 different USB drives and the problem still persists. I have no idea what it could be.

Bios file is definitely not in any folders on usb drive right?

May 13, 2023
you are most likely trying the wrong bios for the motherboard, make sure you choose the correct one for your motherboard

The ID fail is most likely because it's not the bios for your rev and/or model motherboard

if you look one has reinforced PCIe slots and the other has standard PCIe slots maybe they have different BIOS ID ?

I had similar issue when I first picked up this PC until I realised the heatsink on my motherboard's VRM's is different to the motherboard web page I downloaded the BIOS from.

also some motherboards Or BIOS require you to rename the bios file after you have extracted it. (why that is ? I don't know)
There is normally a read me file that tells you what to rename the BIOS to in order for it to work.

so it might be that if it's the correct file.

read gigabytes how to flash bios it might say something about renaming in that.
I already downloaded the F31 version of the bios from these 2 pages:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf
https://www.aorus.com/motherboards/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/Key-Features

My motherboard is this one here:
Png

The F31 bios zipped download does not contain any readme files. On the page it does not indicate anything to change the name of the file or something similar.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Scratching my head now?

You could try install Gigabyte App Center then just install the gigabyte @ bios
using App Center and let that download the correct bios and update it for you.

May 13, 2023
Scratching my head now?

You could try install Gigabyte App Center then just install the gigabyte @bios and let that download the correct bios and update it for you.
It was literally the first thing I tried, but this program doesn't work at all, I think it's discontinued or I don't know. When I try to use it it returns a DLL error. After the error it just closes and stops working.

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-14-184735.png

I already tried to download the file "FBIOS.dll" from this page:
https://es.dll-files.com/fbios.dll.html

I downloaded it, unzipped it and put it in the program folder located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\@BIOS" and also put it inside the System32 folder, but the error continues and I couldn't make the program works.

D

Deleted member 2947362

if @ BIOS still installed uninstall it, using app center click on the little arrow that's pointing down in the top right corner.

once app center has update the software list that supports your motherboard

un-tick everything and just select @ bios, let app center install it for you.

then use @ bios through app center to fetch and update the BIOS

you might want to start by uninstalling all gigabyte apps and app center

start off a fresh, with a new install of app center, using the fresh install of app center and @ bios then try the abpve advice.

sozz about the edits i'm cooking as well lol

Burnt crunchy oven chips, oh joy :(

D

Deleted member 2947362

Think EC FW Update tool from utility section needs updating first if flash via Windows.

How or where are you formatting usb to fat32, from Windows itself? Maybe try ntfs, see what happens.
with my motherboard If I didn't update the EC FW before some newer BIOS updates it could/would cause ram issues with some Ryzen CPU's

Note:
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40.
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.

D

Deleted member 2947362

It was literally the first thing I tried, but this program doesn't work at all, I think it's discontinued or I don't know. When I try to use it it returns a DLL error. After the error it just closes and stops working.

I already tried to download the file "FBIOS.dll" from this page:
https://es.dll-files.com/fbios.dll.html

I downloaded it, unzipped it and put it in the program folder located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\@BIOS" and also put it inside the System32 folder, but the error continues and I couldn't make the program works.
Have you tried putting the BIOS file on the root of C ? then try updating again , its a long shot but maybe its not reading the USB drive correctly (might be a usb compatibility issue reading data correctly?) I have updated my (GA AB350-Gaming) BIOS that way before.

BTW @ BIOS app still works it updated my PC a little while back to the latest BIOS for my Motherboard.

May 13, 2023
Have you tried putting the BIOS file on the root of C ? then try updating again , its a long shot but maybe its not reading the USB drive correctly (might be a usb compatibility issue reading data correctly?) I have updated my (GA AB350-Gaming) BIOS that way before.

BTW @ BIOS app still works it updated my PC a little while back to the latest BIOS for my Motherboard.
I just tried everything you told me, uninstall @bios tool, uninstall "APP center", update APP Center, directly download @bios tool from APP Center and wait, I got this error:
Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-14-210129.png

Accept the error and after 5 minutes I got this error:
Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-14-210221.png

I downloaded the flash.dll file from this page:
https://es.dll-files.com/flash.dll.html
And put it in the program folder and in System 32.

And after 10 minutes I got FBios.dll error again

Honestly I'm already getting tired of this tool

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
Think EC FW Update tool from utility section needs updating first if flash via Windows.

How or where are you formatting usb to fat32, from Windows itself? Maybe try ntfs, see what happens.
I put the USB in NTFS format and the Q-flash does not recognize it

D

Deleted member 2947362

I just tried everything you told me, uninstall @bios tool, uninstall "APP center", update APP Center, directly download @bios tool from APP Center and then wait for you, I got this error:
Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-14-210129.png

Accept the error and after 5 minutes I got this error:
Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-14-210221.png

I downloaded the flash.dll file from this page:
https://es.dll-files.com/flash.dll.html
And put it in the program folder and in System 32.

And after 10 minutes I got FBios.dll error again

Honestly I'm already getting tired of this tool
sorry for the messing around but I think Boju is correct about using @ bios

quote " Think EC FW Update tool from utility section needs updating first if flash via Windows.

How or where are you formatting usb to fat32, from Windows itself? Maybe try ntfs, see what happens"

only other thing I can think of is place the bios file on root of C: see if that works, i have done it that way before.

May 13, 2023
sorry for the messing around but I think Boju is correct about using @ bios

quote " Think EC FW Update tool from utility section needs updating first if flash via Windows.

How or where are you formatting usb to fat32, from Windows itself? Maybe try ntfs, see what happens"

only other thing I can think of is place the bios file on root of C: see if that works, i have done it that way before.
I downloaded the application "EC FW update Tool" and when I go to run the program called ECFwUpdate I get this error:
Captura-de-pantalla-2023-05-14-213947.png

I replaced the Flash.dll file with a new one and now the program does not open directly

If I try to run the program called IFU_XE32 directly, it opens and tells me that it can't read the bin file (disable my antivirus to see if that was the problem and nothing)

D

Deleted member 2947362

ok something else is going with your OS for that to be happening if its windows 11 that can be a nightmare due to smart app control in windows security.

failing to get @ BIOS and EC FW to work only other thing you can try is place the BIOS file in root of C:
when your in the BIOS of the motherboard use the BIOS update feature then find the BIOS file you put on C and try update.

I had none of the issue your having when upgrading the bios on this board, let alone the issues your have with EC FW and @ Bios app.

Mind you I done this all under windows 10, I don't know what OS your using.

May 13, 2023
ok something else is going with your OS for that to be happening if its windows 11 that can be a nightmare due to smart app control in windows security.

failing to get @ BIOS and EC FW to work only other thing you can try is place the BIOS file in root of C: then update the same way as you would with the usb from with in the BIOS of the motherboard find the BIOS file you put on C and try update
I just tried that, I put the BIOS file in the root of the C drive and it directly tells me that it did not find any device for the Q-flash

Setting this motherboard on fire becomes an option!!!

D

Deleted member 2947362

did you find the BIOS file and select it? once in q-flash you have to manually go back through the the folders untill its at the root of C: then select the BIOS file
it wont automatic find the file for you.

IF that does not work I'm just about 100% sure it's the incorrect BIOS file for your motherboard or rev.

The only resolve I could think of after that would be using windows 10 update everything drivers the lot then using the @ BIOS app

nothing else I can think of at this point.

May 13, 2023
did you find the BIOS file and select it? once in q-flash you have to manually go back through the the folders untill its at the root of C: then select the BIOS file
it wont automatic find the file for you.

When I enter my bios by pressing the DELL key, on the bottom right there is a button called Q-flash, when I press it, a little window appears saying "No device found" and it does not let me enter the file browser that is inside of the "Q-flash" button
Cuidado-con-la-ultima-BIOS-de-la-Gigabyte-X370-K7-lleva-el-voltaje-a-1.7v-a-los-procesadores-Ryzen.jpg

Last edited: