i changed fans on the H440W and h100i and it became noisy

TurboVII

Commendable
Jun 24, 2017
So i decided to change my Stock h100i V2 fans and NZXT H440W Rear fan with AF140 and SP120 Quiet Edition fans i plugged AF140 to the motherboard and SP120s to the h100i fan splitter and 3 stock h440 fans are plugged back at the case on the fanhub as usual however now fans are noticeably louder and are making hum hum hum hum sound so if any of you guys would help me out i would highly appreciate it

Solution
I recommend you do NOT use those "low-noise adapters". They are ideal for systems where the case fans are powered directly from the PSU with a fixed 12 VDC supply and thus always run full speed. In that situation the ONLY way to slow down (and make quieter) those fans is to reduce the voltage to them. That's what those adapters do. They merely insert a resistor in series with the fan to reduce the voltage.

BUT if your fan is being powered by a variable-voltage source that automatically reduces voltage (and fan speed and noise) according to measured temperatures, those "low noise adapters" will interfere a LOT with that fan control system.

The real problem to be addressed here is why those case fans are not being controlled properly...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Corsair H100i V1 cooling system comes with two 4-pin (PWM style) fans according to their website. You replaced them with new model SP120 fans, you say. Now, Corsair sells both 3-pin style SP120 fans and 4-pin style SP120 PWM fans. Which did you buy? Becasue if you plug any 3-pin fan into a header designed to control 4-pin fans, that fan will always run at full speed. A 4-pin fan header using PWM Mode cannot control the speed of a 3-pin fan.

TurboVII

Commendable
Jun 24, 2017
well i noticed that it wasnt fans i ordered that were loud instead it were these case fans making sound it was just easier to notice with bit quiter fans but my h440w cases stock fans are all connected to hub that runs them 100% do you know what i need to plug them all to motherboard or is there better way to make them more quiet?

Case is NZXT H440W 2017 version if that helps

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I recommend you do NOT use those "low-noise adapters". They are ideal for systems where the case fans are powered directly from the PSU with a fixed 12 VDC supply and thus always run full speed. In that situation the ONLY way to slow down (and make quieter) those fans is to reduce the voltage to them. That's what those adapters do. They merely insert a resistor in series with the fan to reduce the voltage.

BUT if your fan is being powered by a variable-voltage source that automatically reduces voltage (and fan speed and noise) according to measured temperatures, those "low noise adapters" will interfere a LOT with that fan control system.

The real problem to be addressed here is why those case fans are not being controlled properly. The case fans supplied are 3-pin, so they MUST be controlled using Voltage Control Mode, and that is exactly what the Hub supplied with your case does. Well, it does that IF it is connected properly and configured correctly. So here are the things to check out.

FIRST thing is that the Hub has a cable that must go to a 4-pin fan header that IS actually using PWM control mode. Many mobos these days have 4-pin SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers that actually only use Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) and do NOT supply the PWM signal on Pin #4 that this Hub needs to work. Others give you the option to set (in BIOS Setup) the control Mode for each fan header. It can be hard to tell what your mobo can do, and how to configure the headers. So, POST back here the maker and exact model number of your mobo, and we can look up the manual and advise.

Second, I have seen one thread here that claims (maybe right, I'm not sure) that this particular Hub MUST have a fan plugged into its 4-pin white Port #1 in order to work. Now, that Hub has eight ports I believe. Seven of them have 3 pins and work in Voltage Control Mode, which is NECESSARY for 3-pin fans, and CAN control 4-pin fans. But Port #1 has 4 pins and uses PWM Mode. The instructions for the Hub and case say you should plug your CPU cooling system into that particular port, and then plug the Hub's fan cable into the mobo CPU_FAN header. I suspect you have not done it this way, and in lots of cases you do not need to. (That is why I asked for details on your mobo.) BUT if you plugged your Corsair H100i system into the CPU_FAN header, and then plugged nothing into the Hub's 4-pin Port #1, that might affect the Hub's performance. So make sure at least one of your case fans is plugged into the Hub's Port #1 (white).

I'll watch for your mobo details and advise how to configure.

Solution