[SOLVED] I cheaped out.

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
I have a confession. I went cheap with this PSU. It was $57, I haven't installed it yet. Can I get someone to confirm it might brick the whole system or crash at high usage? please.

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Yes, "someone said". Doesn't make it true.
And doesn't magically turn this into Not A Dumpster Fire.
:ROFLMAO:

No, but seriously is there a way to make sure it doesn't run @ 230v?

I'm gonna risk it. I've always risked stuff...I'll upload a video once I have the case, and if it fries I'll have to just accept it even though I took out a $1000 loan to build this :disrelieved:

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

The utube fool has no concept of what he is talking about.
That thing is autoswitching. He was referring to even crappier, older PSU's, with an actual switch on the back to switch between 115 and 220/230.

It senses the wall voltage and adjusts itself accordingly.
It is still crap, though.

Reactions: anceintsz

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
The utube fool has no concept of what he is talking about.
That thing is autoswitching. He was referring to even crappier, older PSU's, with an actual switch on the back to switch between 115 and 220/230.

It senses the wall voltage and adjusts itself accordingly.
It is still crap, though.

There's no way to tell if it will be okay or not unless I install everything in there, right? What if I just tried to power on the motherboard and see what happens?

USAFRet

Titan

I'm gonna risk it. I've always risked stuff...I'll upload a video once I have the case, and if it fries I'll have to just accept it even though I took out a $1000 loan to build this :disrelieved:
$1000 plus interest
$57 junk PSU

How much extra $$ would a good quality PSU be? Maybe 0.1-0.2% of the total?

It won't fry initially. Probably.
But...you do you.

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Thank y'all for the concerns...I can't afford another PSU at the moment, and call me as impatient as a race horse that's got to pee.

Where can I put this upload tomorrow, or just PM y'all?

If you install an Apevia power supply in your system, you deserve WHATEVER happens, and SOMETHING, will, sooner or later, for about 90% of their units.

Apevia is one of those brands that should be almost COMPLETELY avoided, at all costs, no excuses, ever, without clear proof that the model in question is acceptable. In this case, there are no reviews and no such evidence to be found, so assuming it is a dumpster fire waiting to happen is the only safe way to proceed. If you can't afford an appropriate power supply then you would be VERY WISE to simply NOT USE the system at ALL until you can. You're going to be VERY fracking sad when that POS kills your motherboard or graphics card, and the chances of it doing so are much higher than with a lot of other brands out there, and that's without going into any specifics of the given model.

There are a couple of Andyson built Apevia Prestige models, or at least one, the 800w, that isn't too bad, but I do not believe that your 600w unit is the same platform.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
even though I took out a $1000 loan to build this :disrelieved:

Well wouldn't that be the most ridiculous way to lose $1000 (+interest)?!

In the most simplistic sense, if you can take a $1000 loan (which got you a $57 PSU within that), could you not take a $1050 loan, giving you >$100 for a quality PSU?

Yes, its more money & more interest.... but surely the logic of paying a teeny bit more money for something that'll still be functional in X weeks/months/years is worth it vs potentially paying off the loan + interest long after you've had a small housefire?

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
If you install an Apevia power supply in your system, you deserve WHATEVER happens, and SOMETHING, will, sooner or later, for about 90% of their units.

Apevia is one of those brands that should be almost COMPLETELY avoided, at all costs, no excuses, ever, without clear proof that the model in question is acceptable. In this case, there are no reviews and no such evidence to be found, so assuming it is a dumpster fire waiting to happen is the only safe way to proceed. If you can't afford an appropriate power supply then you would be VERY WISE to simply NOT USE the system at ALL until you can. You're going to be VERY fracking sad when that POS kills your motherboard or graphics card, and the chances of it doing so are much higher than with a lot of other brands out there, and that's without going into any specifics of the given model.

There are a couple of Andyson built Apevia Prestige models, or at least one, the 800w, that isn't too bad, but I do not believe that your 600w unit is the same platform.

Okay so this post made me second guess. There's a guy in town that is selling a 500w from his computer shop and it's not apevia though he didn't say what brand it is. He said it works as it should! Tomorrow gonna try and pick it up!

EDIT: Y'all care too much. :disrelieved: thank you

You really NEED to read this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

And this, because this is EXACTLY what can happen with a cheap power supply:

Then WATCH this:

And then find a decent model from among my recommendations at the following link, even if it means you have to wait and save money for a week or two OR return something you already bought and get a cheaper version of it so you can get a BETTER power supply that won't make buying the rest of the hardware you bought, a big waste of money.

TRENDING THREADS