I Checked my hard drive is this bad?

Solution

It is no bother at all my friend. The key will most likely set you back up with Windows 7 for that is the product it is linked to. If for some reason there is an issue, just contact Microsoft and they should be able to help you out.

rkzhao

Respectable
Mar 8, 2016
Yes the drive is bad. It'd be useful to have the threshold numbers as well but the description already pretty much tell you the problems.
378 is a lot of reallocated sectors and you still have 11 pending sectors. You also have 5 uncorrectable errors. It all points to a failing drive.

At this point, your best bet is to get a new drive.

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Greetings!

How old is the hard drive? It does appear that it is starting to perform below optimal ability, and S.M.A.R.T. is a pretty reliable resource. It may be time to simply replace the drive.

Hope this helps!

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Yeah, that is getting up there in age for an HDD.

As far as Windows is concerned, it depends on how you acquired your copy of Windows originally. If the system was OEM (HP, Dell, Etc.) built or "store bought", it should have come with a key, but if you don't have it, you should be able to contact the system builder for assistance. If you purchased your copy of Windows, it will come with the key and that should be listed somewhere on the original packaging. I have seen cases where the key is on the Windows sticker on the back of the computer itself when built by an OEM for that key is locked to your motherboard and will not work on another computer (Retail keys can generally be installed on multiple systems). If you bought the computer second hand, like on craigslist or ebay, you may be out of luck, but if you bought it from someone you know, give them a jingle to see if they still have it.

Alex_316

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016

ok yeah the code is on the case itself so if i pop in a new hard drive, and use something like the windows installation media creation tool i should be able to use that windows code right since its the same mobo?

also im cool with losing my flies i dont save important things to my pc

Alex_316

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
sorry to make you come back here, I have more question ive upgraded to windows 10 (free) and the product key is a windows 7 key so is it still valid?
also will it send me back to windows 7? i have no problem with this upgrading is easy i just wanna know

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

It is no bother at all my friend. The key will most likely set you back up with Windows 7 for that is the product it is linked to. If for some reason there is an issue, just contact Microsoft and they should be able to help you out.

Solution