Question I did an engine swap from a 5.3 to a 6.0 chevy engine and noticed my engine runs hotter under the hood but keeps at normal operating temp

Pradz Kindmeadows

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Check your thermostat on your 6.0L if its hotter unit also I think you'll be needing a bigger radiator and bigger electric fan since your just swapping the engine but not the components which are from the 5.3L unit. Since your fitting a bigger(displacement) engine better relocate the batters and others away from the engine bay w/c also free up some space w/c will help bleed hot air. Also add an oil cooler with the right the thermostat.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Operating tempt is different than ambient temp. Your thermostat will keep your coolant at 195F. If its running cold it will close until the operating temp is higher. With a larger engine it will displace more heat to ambient air. Still I would do what other people said, look for a wiring short.

jwcrellin

Reputable
You could add an electric fan to the front of your radiator, that would drop the coolant temps a bit. But as others mentioned, smoking battery means electrical problems not so much engine heat.

There is a mod that ppl with big stereos do called the big 3 upgrade. Basically beefing up the starter, ground and alternator wires to 4AWG.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
You could add an electric fan to the front of your radiator, that would drop the coolant temps a bit. But as others mentioned, smoking battery means electrical problems not so much engine heat.

There is a mod that ppl with big stereos do called the big 3 upgrade. Basically beefing up the starter, ground and alternator wires to 4AWG.

The big 3 has nothing to do with a wire to the starter and it will do nothing for the OP. (and for clarification, it's 4AWG or larger (usually 1/0) from the Battery ground to Chassis, Chassis to engine block, and + off the Alternator to the battery + wire.

He has an electrical short. The difference in heat output between a 5.3 and 6.0 is negligible. Physically, they are the same size. If the battery is smoking, he has a short. Check the motor mounts as stated above.