Question I disallowed stopping/pausing a windows service, and now I can't allow it again

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Normally, you can pause or stop a windows service at the list of services.

There was a windows service that I wanted to disallow stopping/pausing. So by using ProcessHacker tool, I disallowed it.

I did so by going to "Services" tab of ProcessHacker, go to "Properties" of the windows service, choose "Administrators" and uncheck "Stop" and "Pause"
Screenshot-2024-08-04-123545.png

But now I want to uninstall, edit something, and install again. But that is failing! Perhaps because I disallowed stopping/pausing before?

Since I believed it's because I disallowed stopping/pausing, I decided to try allowing stopping/pausing again, and stop it, and uninstall it, edit the program, and install it again.

But then now when I go to ProcessHacker and try to allow stopping/pausing again, it says it can't do that.
Screenshot-2024-08-04-122949.png

How can I solve this problem?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
You've managed to completely neuter Windows. The only thing you can do now is a full wipe and reinstall. And, in the future keep your hands off things you don't fully understand.

It's actually not very important to edit this windows service. So if I can't solve this problem, so be it. But you seem to suggest that I have caused some serious problem to my PC by using ProcessHacker? Is that what you imply?

USAFRet

Titan
It's actually not very important to edit this windows service. So if I can't solve this problem, so be it. But you seem to suggest that I have caused some serious problem to my PC by using ProcessHacker? Is that what you imply?
Yes, that's what he is saying.

It appears you've borked whatever process or service is required to fix it.