Question I don't have enough USB ports for VR (keeping my normal keyboard and mouse plugged in)

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
As stated above I don't have enough USB ports on my rig to hook up VR while keeping my keyboard and mouse set up. What would be the best solution that doesn't include getting a new motherboard because mine is new? (MSI tomahawk b450)

What VR headset are you looking at? I believe that motherboard should have 6 USB ports (2 USB2, 3 USB3 and 1 USB3 type-C, plus any front-panel ports your case might have. The only VR headset I can think of that requires a lot of USB ports would be the original Oculus Rift + Touch, which I believe requires 3 USB ports, or 4 if you add a third camera sensor for better room-scale tracking. Other headsets should require less than that.

Aside from an external USB hub, you could also add an internal USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card, which can be found for around $15 or so on sites like eBay and Amazon.

Jul 30, 2019
Almost all headsets require one USB port, rift being the notorious exception. If you have a rift, I'd highly recommend putting any none-VR related devices into a USB hub while you are in VR. You shouldn't have to worry about bandwidth because you won't be using them in VR (most likely) anyway.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS