I Don't know Whether I'm Running my GPU Integrated Graphics or Using My Video Card; How Can I Check and Change This?

dominatorinator

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
I have an MSi R9 290x Graphics Card and an I5 4690k GPU. I projected my rig to be able to run Skyrim on Ultra at 144fps since that was the benchmark for this card. However I can't run it at more that 15 fps. I was also having problems with Far Cry 4 despite being told I could also run that. I was speaking to a friend today who said it's very possible that my PC automatically started using my GPU integratedgrpahics instead of my card which would explain the lack of performance. I don't know if this is what's going on so I would like to request so help. Also, i run (or try to run) all my games at very high and 1920 by 1080p. Thank you for feedback. Also, instruction on using the driver would be appreciated, it's troublesome for a new PC builder like myself.

dominatorinator

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

All I know is that I installed the hardware like it said it was supposed to be installed. However i may have messed something up in the driver and Im not getting the performance specs I wanted

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
pretty much just as bruce said. if your monitor is plugged into your video card, then that is what the pc is using. if you are having performance issues with the card, did you uninstall the integrated drivers before installing it? this still counts as drivers and needs to be removed to prevent any issues.

of course if you are plugged into the motherboard, then you are using the integrated and need to swap it over.

check to see how you're connected and then delete all video drivers in the system. you do this through the device manager. select "display adapters" and then open each entry and click the driver tab. there should be an uninstall button to remove the drivers. then reinstall only the drivers for the 290x.

you are right about the performance. you should be seeing very good fps on high/ultra at 1080p easily with that card. try this out first then come back if it is still buggy and we can move to the next option.

edit: another thought that is unlikely but still a possibility. what psu are you using? that is a very power hungry card and if you are not feeding it enough power, it won't run well at all like you are seeing.

dominatorinator

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

Thanks very much for this. A lot actually maks sense even to a noob like me. I will check whether it's plugged into the motherboard or not. Also, this is a brand new PC so no old drivers on it. Im also running the Corsair RM1000 PSU.

dominatorinator

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Guys, don't worry about it. I'm a complete idiot. I literally had my Dad come up and help me troubleshoot and in the first 3 minutes he figured out that I was in fact plugged into the Motherboard, not tha graphics card. Im so stupid :/

dominatorinator

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Dude, I hate to say it but as soon as i figured out one problem, another appears immediately. So i shut down, unplugged the HDMI from my motherboard and plugged it into the graphics card. However, when I booted up, my monitor told me the HDMI wasn't sending signal and then black screened. I checked the ,graphics card and it is getting power because the fans are running. but i don't know what could be wrong no0w

TRENDING THREADS