Question I dropped my Laptop no it won't turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2022
Hello today, I dropped my Lenovo Thinkpad L14 Gen 1 from around 20 cm on my wooden floor. It fell vertically down and hit the ground with the bottom first. It was on during the entire time. Now it won't turn on when I press the Power Button. The power button does light up when I plug in the charger.
Here is a video of my Laptop:
View: https://youtu.be/9Tg6MIiQQKs

Here is the inside:
View: https://imgur.com/a/zuhHg9o

edit. The red light (the I on the front of the laptop) isn't working either.
edit 2. It is an AMD version, and it has an SSD (So it isn't an HDD problem)
I already tried: - everything from this list
as far as I know the Ram works, it is not the Battery, Powerbrick
I think I broke the Motherboard, is there a way to check?

ps if this isn´t the right place to ask for this type of advise, where can I find the help I need?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you think that the motherboard is what's broken, after disassembling the laptop you should be able to see either a broken end of your laptop's motherboard or what looks like a loose component. The video you've linked doesn't show up. As for the rams on the laptop, make sure you've disconnected the battery from the laptop and then try and work with one stick of ram(they look like they're under a shield/anti-static cover).

Try and reseat your OS drive.

Oct 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you think that the motherboard is what's broken, after disassembling the laptop you should be able to see either a broken end of your laptop's motherboard or what looks like a loose component. The video you've linked doesn't show up. As for the rams on the laptop, make sure you've disconnected the battery from the laptop and then try and work with one stick of ram(they look like they're under a shield/anti-static cover).

Try and reseat your OS drive.

Hey sorry for the Video error, I changed it!
I completely disassembled my laptop but I couldn't find anything that was wrong with any part. I just assumed it was the motherboard because my battery works, and ram works (I tried just 1, both of them). Do you have any other tips or tricks I could try to diagnose the problem?

Lutfij

Titan
Disconnect the battery, remove the sticks of ram, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on the sticks of ram, wipe them clean off of any dirt/debris and then reseat the sticks of ram.

Oct 1, 2022
The power button LED flashes error codes (and is clearly flashing in the video). Record the sequence (there are long and short flashes in a specific sequence) and look it up in the manual. That will tell you what the problem is.
I looked it up but it doesn't seme to be a error code, it is a standard lec sequence that happens when the AC is connected to the Lapotop. Any other tips?

Nov 18, 2021
I looked it up but it doesn't seme to be a error code, it is a standard lec sequence that happens when the AC is connected to the Lapotop. Any other tips?
Have you tried to disconnect M2 SSD, WIFI and try to start? Also laptops with an internal battery may have an emergency pin hole reset button on the bottom cover (see emergency-reset hole in the User Guide for more information).
Use a straightened paper clip in the reset hole to reset the laptop.

This is a stab in dark and possibly already tested since OP mentioned having tested everything on the list. (list has a step of using external monitor)
since thinkpad logo's dot being off hints at disconnect and/or possible problem with cables going to the screen assembly from the mainboard, IF the laptop starts up.

Although this should not stop computer from booting, screen and attached camera/mic/such are not requirements for booting and if it turns on, fans and such should start up and be audible, which your video lacks.
so most likely not the screen.

Another less likely reason could be that the micro switch of the power button is broken and pressing it wont tell the computer to turn on. LED on switch is separate from the switch so led working is not indicator that switch does.

Past those two, I don't really have better/untested ideas

Reactions: EuphoriaNS
Status
Not open for further replies.