Question I get Access Denied to create a restore point+

mkj307

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
I have an Acer Predator PH317-52 , 64 bit, with Windows 10 Version 1903. I just reinstalled windows 10 from an ISO file I downloaded with the media creation tool & I c hose not to keep anything. About a month ago after an update & I am sorry but I don't know which one exactly, I found when I tried to create a restore point I got Access Denied error 0x800070005. I looked at all help articles on this error & tried all of the fixes but none worked. I also get access denied on folders an administrator should have access to. I went to my BIOS to check those settings and it will only allow me to change certain things but even after I save those F10 & exit I find they are not changed after a restart. I can't even change the boot order or disable secure boot. I have a 500GB SSD with my programs on it & a regular 1TB HD for my data. I even enabled the administrator account in command prompt and had the same results using that. I am at a loss as to what to do. Anyone know what could be going on?

mkj307

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
Hello

Can you please confirm if you have Norton Antivirus installed on your PC?

I was wondering if you already tried the suggestions discussed here?

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!
Thank you for your reply. I have Norton & at first I disabled with no help. So I uninstalled Norton with no help. Tried from safe boot, no help. Although I can add myself to security under properties & click all on all boxes it will say I have full control but if I check under effective Access there is a red X by full control. I have reinstalled windows 10 a few times & I am resetting it now from Windows settings. I have not tried resetting the repository. If it still doesn’t work after the reset I will reset the repository. If that doesn’t work I am letting a professional see what they can do. I will let you know. Thanks again!

mkj307

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
Thank you for your help but I ended up taking it to a repair center. It was indeed a software issue. They did a clean install of windows 10 after a bunch of diagnostics were run. I get it back tonight. If you wouldn’t mind one more question I would like to know if you can control Windows update with the group policy editor. I would like to get the security updates, etc. but I would like to stop any further major version updates. I have the home version and there are people who say they have a free download of gpe for the home version. Is that safe or should I upgrade to Pro? Thanks again for your responses!