Question I got a warning telling me that "You are currently using the RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter" and I don't use anything that requires a remote GPU

Sharcs

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I just received a warning telling me this:

"You are currently using the RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter. We no longer support this adapter and continued use may expose your machine to security risks."

Here's the screenshot:

The thing is, I do not use any virtual machines and never connect with other machines directly e.g. while using Team Viewer.

Is this something that I need to worry about? Is this malware or maybe a bitcoin miner?

Aug 27, 2020
I got the same error just now. I do not use any Hyper-V machines, let alone any with RemoteFX GPUs. I have WSL v2 and Windows Sandbox and Windows Defender Application Guard features enabled, which rely on Hyper-V services, so maybe that prompted the message. (Though none of it was running when the message popped up.) I also just installed KB4571744 as part of Insider's Release Preview channel, on Education edition.

I know they have been working on deprecating RemoteFX for a while now. The message itself is not surprising, only that it randomly popped up. But if it's happening to other people, I would not be too worried about malware, and chalk it up to an update quirk.

I know Sandbox and WDAG have some capability for GPU acceleration, don't know if it's based on RemoteFX. It would be silly to deprecate a feature for security reasons (namely escaping the sandbox), but then use in apps specifically intended to provide secure sandbox environments.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020
i got this error just now, googled it and ended up here. i'm on Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, OS build 19041.450

i don't use any virtual machines either, and i had never even heard of RemoteFX.

thanks for posting! i feel slightly less paranoid now.

Sharcs

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? If it's Windows 10 Enterprise as I believe it should be, then you should contact your IT service...
I'm using Win 10 Pro. That said, it's an upgrade from the academic version of Win 7 Pro - got it free during university.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS