Question I got great internet speed and a great pc but when I open games while in discord call, discord lags

May 22, 2022
Hi

I got a great ethernet speed, around 500 Mbps upload and download

I also got a great PC with rtx 3070, 16gb ram, ryzen 7, etc...

But when I open a game or watch a video while in a discord call, discord lags. What do I do??

specs:
https://prnt.sc/XXvo3f6FWLPe

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

First observe without opening a game or video. And without doing a discord call.

Then drag the observation window to one side or the other where you can continual to watch what is happening.

Then methodically game, play videos, do Discord calls, etc. but pay attention to what changes especially when Discord is launched.

Pay attention to what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

If Discord seems to cause the problem then uninstall Discord and verify that there are no more system lags.

The next step: manually download Discord again. Reinstall and reconfigure as necessary. Do not use any third party installers or utilities.

May 22, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

First observe without opening a game or video. And without doing a discord call.

Then drag the observation window to one side or the other where you can continual to watch what is happening.

Then methodically game, play videos, do Discord calls, etc. but pay attention to what changes especially when Discord is launched.

Pay attention to what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

If Discord seems to cause the problem then uninstall Discord and verify that there are no more system lags.

The next step: manually download Discord again. Reinstall and reconfigure as necessary. Do not use any third party installers or utilities.
Its not lagging the game, its only lagging discord

Ralston18

Titan
Same process.

Start without Discord. Observe.

Then launch Discord and look for some resource that changes when the lags occur.

May help root out some other problem.

Otherwise you can simply try reinstalling Discord. May be buggy or corrupted.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Otherwise you can simply try reinstalling Discord. May be buggy or corrupted.

In my own experience, I found it easier to use Discord on my Android device than with the PC. Some of the folks I was gaming with didn't care for it as much but helped my overall experience a great deal, mostly in regard to not having to allow certain devices (privacy) on my PC aside from the performance hit.

Stephanie_Sy

Prominent
Mar 1, 2021
It’s common to see Discord lagging if you’re running multiple programs on your PC, because some of them may conflict with Discord. To solve the problem, you can try ending unnecessary programs.

jcarter12

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Could just be a discord issue. I play League of Legends with a few guys faily often and we all joke about being DDoS'd when the match ends as we cant talk to each other for a few seconds.