Question I got hacked

Jun 22, 2023
I am a student at a university with a server that has recently experienced a data breach with possible data collection of student information. I opened an email in my university account yesterday that seemed to come from the “hackers” (my terminology might not be correct) while I was connected to the university’s WIFI network. I haven’t heard anything happening to anybody’s else’s computer following receipt of this email, however, about half an hour later, my laptop screen saver was changed to a pixilated female’s face, and my camera was blinking on and off. No apps that use the camera were open at the time. I was unable to log out of my account on my computer (I have a Mac Pro) and I ended up shutting down my computer. After calling Apple, I decided to wipe my computer because I was concerned about the hackers obtaining my financial information, address, university account, etc.

It’s possible that this incident was totally unrelated to the server breach at my uni, but I’m wondering whether the hackers were able to access my computer remotely. This has never happened before to me, nor have I heard it happening to anyone else. I am ill-versed in how this stuff works—hacking, data breaches, etc.—and didn’t know if anyone has experienced this previously or had any advice on how to proceed.

Does anyone know how this could have happened, or whether disconnecting to a different network altogether would eliminate / reduce the risk of this happening again?

Thanks ya’ll.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you contacted the university's IT staff?

The breach may have allowed access to your Mac Pro through some existing vulnerability that the hackers were able to exploit.

Especially if the passwords to your accounts (as applicable) and the Mac were "weak".

As I understand the described events the perp's appear to have only gotten partial access.

Change all passwords and, wherever possible, use 2 Factor Authentication.

Double check all financial and personal accounts for anything wrong or otherwise amiss.

Be extra careful about anything you do online. Read emails carefully and do not click anything within if you did not initiate the circumstances.

Even then be wary.....

RoguishThoughts

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Has your mac been updated lately? It could have also been a result of not having the latest updates, which do carry repairs to vulnerabilities. And does your mac have any software used by the university that happens to be installed on your system? I know of a few university departments that may have particular software and apps they use. Could have been an entry way.