i got problem in fdisk..

var1234

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
i just bought a ibm 80GB harddisk. When i use a win98 bootdisk to create partition, it display the volume about 12GB. However, i can see my harddisk is 80GB in the bios.
So, i just simply format it and i find the volume become 78GB that is normal.

However, now i am quite worried about that because i think there should be some problem with my drive. So that is a problem about my hd or the fdisk process. I would like to perform the fdisk process again because i want to split it in two 40GB drive.

Thus, how can i solve this??

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
What is your mobo ?
Is the bios set to LBA ?
12 GB is a strange value since the classic limits of hdd controller are 2 GB (FAT16) and 8.4 GB (old controllers).
Also DOS can give you false information when you type DIR, because it cannot correctly reports the hdd capacity when it exceeds its limits, but the disk may be correctly formatted and Win98 will see the right capacity.
Anyway, go to BIOS set up and check if the bios use LBA to recognize the disk. Then run fdisk from a floppy and select to use FAT32 (the splash screen of fdisk at the beginning). Select to see (option 4) how the disk is partitioned. Delete all partition (DOS and Non-DOS), select for create a new partition. The program should allow you to create a partition as big as the whole disk. Then go ahead to create the partitions as you like.

the last is in the past

var1234

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
My mainboard is Asus A7V333-au. I don't know if that related to my mainboard.
I had check the harddisk is running in LBA mode but the problem remain.

I never met this problem and it is strange that the harddisk showing the correct capacity in bios. So this is a problem about the DOS or my harddisk? I want to know if this is a special case or all 80GB hdd meet this.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Your mobo does not have any problem to recognize the right capacity of the hdd (even higher then 137 GB). If the bios is set to LBA and the disk is correctly seen the problem is related to the version of fdisk you are using or the disk has been partitioned with other OS (like linux) and DOS or WIN98 are unable to delete the old partition.
You may try to run a low level format utility which will bring the disk to its original state. You may find this utility for MAXTOR on the internet (www.maxtor.com) or www.ontrack.com

the last is in the past

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes. 78Gb is normal. you allways loose space on formatting due to the way it does it, the MBR, FAT's etcetcetc.

plus the fact that a Gigabyte is measured diferently.
drive makers measure a gigabyte as 1000 Mb
windows and other Os'es typically read 1Gb as 1024Mb

Ego: Check
Rose hued glasses: Check
Fanboy Button: Check
CPU forum, here i come! :smile:

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
look up IBM and download to a floppy the lastest disk diags and formattig tools, see if what they offer you works. The test they offer will thoughlly test you hdd so you can either rle it our, ot find the problem.

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.