[SOLVED] I have 10850K. Get Z490 or wait for Z590 Motherboard

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
Hi 10 years removed from building PCs. Got a deal $240 deal on a 10850K. I am eager to finally upgrade from my i7-930 but someone recommended I wait for alleged Jan 11 launch of Z590 for future proofing. I truly don't know what to do now. I was set on the Z490 ROG Strix https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-z490-e-gaming/p/N82E16813119268 (which apprently doesn't support PCI-E 4)
or the Taichi Z490: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157922

I also looked into the MSI Unify: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168131...i_unify-_-13-144-299-_-Product&quicklink=true
but hated the fact it had no iGPU outputs on board

Now I game at 4K and have a 1080 Ti. My plan was to get a 2080 Ti (3D Vision games) and later on a 3090 (2D games0. I also might get a cheaper NVME SSD for my OS. I doubt it'll nbe PCI-E 4 becaue i typically go for real world performance not benchmarks.

What should I do? I also hear Rocket Lake is limited to 8 cores? I really don't see myself downgrading core count just for better IPC. Unless Intel gets desperate and release a 10 Core Rocket Lake CPU. So I am mulling over what future proofing I'd need out of the Z590.
I don't upgrade frequently though I do suspect I'll do one in 5 years and not 10 like the i7-930.

Solution
Ive been waiting for someone to answer this, LOL. But...

Prices will go up on the Z490s and whatnot soon. They won't let us buy a grade lower for cheap when something new is released, I saw that on Nov 5 when the new AMD stuff came out - prices across the board went up, even during Black November. So if you're going to buy z490, buy now. Newegg is having what looks like a legit clearance sale. Gigabyte's aorus line has pci-e4, or at least one does, and it can switch to pci-e3 so you're not tied to 4. The 10850k is no slouch, I don't know why you would consider another cpu just one gen higher to replace it at this time. Like I literally don't know, I'm still a newbie; I actually bought one for its high number of cores - eta: not...

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019

Prices will go up on the Z490s and whatnot soon. They won't let us buy a grade lower for cheap when something new is released, I saw that on Nov 5 when the new AMD stuff came out - prices across the board went up, even during Black November. So if you're going to buy z490, buy now. Newegg is having what looks like a legit clearance sale. Gigabyte's aorus line has pci-e4, or at least one does, and it can switch to pci-e3 so you're not tied to 4. The 10850k is no slouch, I don't know why you would consider another cpu just one gen higher to replace it at this time. Like I literally don't know, I'm still a newbie; I actually bought one for its high number of cores - eta: not cores, threads - because that to me says future-proofing. Btw it runs hot, needs a really good cooler and fans. Adn of course, a high watt PSU. (Going from a 550w to a 750w made my cpu's temp lower by about five degrees c.) Costs can add up.

If you are on a budget, that is, regarding the above. If you aren't on a budget you can still buy a z490 and then sell it for max high price when the z590s come out. Ideally.

Last edited:
Solution

edo101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018

Prices will go up on the Z490s and whatnot soon. They won't let us buy a grade lower for cheap when something new is released, I saw that on Nov 5 when the new AMD stuff came out - prices across the board went up, even during Black November. So if you're going to buy z490, buy now. Newegg is having what looks like a legit clearance sale. Gigabyte's aorus line has pci-e4, or at least one does, and it can switch to pci-e3 so you're not tied to 4. The 10850k is no slouch, I don't know why you would consider another cpu just one gen higher to replace it at this time. Like I literally don't know, I'm still a newbie; I actually bought one for its high number of cores - eta: not cores, threads - because that to me says future-proofing. Btw it runs hot, needs a really good cooler and fans. Adn of course, a high watt PSU. (Going from a 550w to a 750w made my cpu's temp lower by about five degrees c.) Costs can add up.

If you are on a budget, that is, regarding the above. If you aren't on a budget you can still buy a z490 and then sell it for max high price when the z590s come out. Ideally.

Yeah I don't see myself switching to Rocket Lake unless it has a 10 core CPU with better temps. If I am still at Intel then, I'd get it with employee discount.
However the main unkwoen I suppose is if the 10850K would run better on Z590 as opposed to Z490 @Viorala