I have 16GB RAM, Only half being used.

Bill Ellson

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Hi all. I built and have been running this system without an issue for about a year. Recently, I've noticed that when I open task manager, and look at my resources, Windows is only showing a maximum of 8GB of RAM. I have 16GB (4x4GB)of Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz installed.

On my last thread, Pinhedd suggested that I test all four DIMMs individually in the first slot, which I did, and all booted fine. He also suggested picking one of the DIMMs and testing it in each slot. All booted fine. I put all four DIMMs back in, and I still have 8GB in Windows. What is really weird is that my BIOS now show that I have 8GB installed, Windows shows that I have 8GB installed, but CPU-Z shows that I have 16GB installed. I'm not sure what's going on.

All four of my DIMMs are good. All four of my slots are good. What's the problem here, and why is it happening?!

Solution
I gather that both are out of warranty.
Have you got an acquaintance that has 4x4 DDR3 for you to try? or even 4x2GB just to make sure.
Apparently there was a bios update for your board for better memory compatibility.
I would start by trying to get bios updated. Maybe unplug everything and leave 1 module and then try to update.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
What's your mobo and CPU? Have you checked in MSCONFIG to see if the system is limiting DRAM - look in MSCONFIG>BOOT>ADVANCED and see if maximum memory is checked and limiting DRAM, also what OS version, some limit DRAM to 8GB max. If neither of the latter we're back to needing the mobo and CPU to check the DRAM set up

Bill Ellson

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

I already attempted to change the max boot ram. The box is already unchecked, but I have tried checking it and putting in 16384MB, still no go.

Motherboard: EVGA Z77 FTW
CPU: Intel i5 3570k

Bill Ellson

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

That's what I'm trying to say. All four sticks boot fine into windows, and show 4GB. Every single one.

Bill Ellson

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Well, kajjot, my bios actually will not update. I have the first version. Whenever I try to update it, it gives me an error that I can't read, because my computer instantly restarts, and doesn't update. I've never updated the bios, and I had 16GB RAM before.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I read over this quickly, and I didnt see what OS you are using (except that it is windows).
Its worth noting some versions of windows have ram limits. Win 7 home basic is limited to 8gb for example.

If that checks out, there is an issue with your motherboard not addressing all the ram, because as you state, all the sticks work individually.