[SOLVED] I have 2x16 GB ram sticks, 1 stick accidentally burned, can i just install only 1 ram stick left?

May 27, 2021
I was building my first pc, and made a mistake.

I bought CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 32GB (2×16) 3600MHZ RAM STICKS, 1 stick is accidentally burned because I was installing it wrong side. only 1 pin burned, i tested it and it still alive (rgb led still works perfectly, only not detected on system).

i dont have a budget right now to buy new pair rams, is it ok to use only 1 ram stick left?

please excuse my english, im still learning.

Solution
which slot I should put it? DIMMA2 or DIMMB2?
thank you for your quick reply, i really appreciate that

Check your motherboard's manual, which will tell you what slots to use in which scenarios. It'll usually like something this image or have text describing which slots to use.

iPgqg.png.c6ca007b530a61693f857a42499dd77c.png

Getting it in the wrong slot is extremely unlikely to damage anything.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I was building my first pc, and made a mistake.

I bought CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 32GB (2×16) 3600MHZ RAM STICKS, 1 stick is accidentally burned because I was installing it wrong side. only 1 pin burned, i tested it and it still alive (rgb led still works perfectly, only not detected on system).

i dont have a budget right now to buy new pair rams, is it ok to use only 1 ram stick left?

please excuse my english, im still learning.

You can, though it will be slightly slower than 2x8 sets in dual channel mode.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
which slot I should put it? DIMMA2 or DIMMB2?
thank you for your quick reply, i really appreciate that

Check your motherboard's manual, which will tell you what slots to use in which scenarios. It'll usually like something this image or have text describing which slots to use.

iPgqg.png.c6ca007b530a61693f857a42499dd77c.png

Getting it in the wrong slot is extremely unlikely to damage anything.

Solution
What do you mean by 'burned'? If you physically damaged a module, there's a good chance the motherboard or other components are also damaged. Otherwise, if it looks cosmetic, use a pencil eraser to clean it up and try it again by itself in each slot and see if it works.