I have a 8 core CPU and its only showing 4 cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_on_pc

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Hi I'm have trouble with my amd 8300
Its a 8 core CPU but on windows 10 I only show me I have 4 I use to have a amd x4 860k and sold my old mobo and my old CPU now I have the 8300 and gigabytes 970A-DS3P mobo and wen I go in my system to see if any cores are park it say I only have 4 cores now I'm rebooting my computer to see if that helps maybe its still think I'm use the 860k

Solution

David_on_pc,

The way that AMD numbers the cores is not the same as Intel. AMD is naming every thread as a core, whereas Intel CPU's call them physical cores and threads. The AMD 8300, if it were made by Intel, would be called a 4 -core.

First, right click on the lower screen margin to "Start Task Manager."
Click on "Performance".
This will...

David_on_pc,

The way that AMD numbers the cores is not the same as Intel. AMD is naming every thread as a core, whereas Intel CPU's call them physical cores and threads. The AMD 8300, if it were made by Intel, would be called a 4 -core.

First, right click on the lower screen margin to "Start Task Manager."
Click on "Performance".
This will make a graph of the use of each thread.
This graph should show 8 graphs, one for each core / thread of the AMD 8300.

If Task Manager / Performance shows only 4 graphs:

The problem may be a setting in BIOS.
Start the system and go to the BIOS settings.
Check for any settings such as: "Enable all processors"

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This is completely incorrect. AMD pairs of cores do share an FPU however Windows sees them as distinct cores, and they are distinct physical cores. AMD processors do not have hyperthreading , however threads can far exceed the number of cores in a CPU its just a matter of how many threads can be handled at the same time (in the AMD's case 8).

This is most likely caused by trying to re-use an old windows install. Windows needs to be reinstalled for a new motherboard and processor to work properly.

Rouge Leader,

It is not incorrect to say that what AMD calls an 8-core would in effect be called a hyperthreading 4-core by Intel. This is demonstrated by Task Manager / Performance. My "4-core" Xeon E5-1620 will show 8-processor graphs and so should the "8-core" AMD 8300. If the OP opens Task Manager /Performance and it displays 8 graphs, that will confirm that the settings are correct. If it shows only 4 processor graphs, then the BIOS need to be set to enable all processors. The number will be the same also in Device Manager Processors.

I've never heard of changing a CPU and motherboard and being able to run Windows on the old drive, but even if this does work I think the core count will be a BIOS setting.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Again no you are incorrect.

Intel 4 core processors have 4 true cores that work across eachotehr using hyperthreading to run 8 threads at a time. Yes it does show as 8 in task manager, my Xeon E3 1231v3 does the same, however AMD 8 core processors have 8 PHYSICAL CORES and no hyperthreading type of technology. Its a completely different architecture than Intel. They share an FPU only between each pair of cores. But again an AMD 8 core processor will show as 8 in task manager as well, because it can handle 8 threads at a time.

Just because they both show as 8 does not mean they work in the background in the same way and to say Intel would call it a 4 core is incorrect.

Finally he replaced both the motherboard and CPU, the motherboard by default will run all the cores, its brand new. His problem is he carried over a windows install of a 4 core processor so its very likely its only "seeing" 4 of the cores due to the configuration of windows. The only place that this can be limited is in msconfig/boot/advanced which he can try, however he still needs to reinstall windows for it to work to its fullest potential. You are correct normally it won't even work but occasionally, and strangely, sometimes one slips through.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Did you try going into "device manager" and under "processors" did you check if it is displaying the FX 8300 or the old CPU? If it is not the FX 8300, try right clicking on it and updating the drivers. If it doesn't automatically download the right driver, you might have to do a fresh install of Windows. You can do this by downloading the Windows media creation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/).

uguv

Distinguished
I agree that you probably have to reinstall windows.

You can also run msconfig then click on the boot tab and then advanced options. Uncheck the number of processors checkbox (if it's checked) and reboot. I'd still reinstall windows even if this fixes the problem.

"Again no you are incorrect.

Intel 4 core processors have 4 true cores that work across eachotehr using hyperthreading to run 8 threads at a time. Yes it does show as 8 in task manager, my Xeon E3 1231v3 does the same, however AMD 8 core processors have 8 PHYSICAL CORES and no hyperthreading type of technology. Its a completely different architecture than Intel. They share an FPU only between each pair of cores. But again an AMD 8 core processor will show as 8 in task manager as well, because it can handle 8 threads at a time.

Just because they both show as 8 does not mean they work in the background in the same way and to say Intel would call it a 4 core is incorrect.

Finally he replaced both the motherboard and CPU, the motherboard by default will run all the cores, its brand new. His problem is he carried over a windows install of a 4 core processor so its very likely its only "seeing" 4 of the cores due to the configuration of windows. The only place that this can be limited is in msconfig/boot/advanced which he can try, however he still needs to reinstall windows for it to work to its fullest potential. You are correct normally it won't even work but occasionally, and strangely, sometimes one slips through."

Rogue Leader,

Yes, I agree with your description of the architecture. My idea was only that the TM / Performance graphs were an instant way to see if all the AMD 8300 cores were enabled. I suppose that would appear on the Control Panel /System summary, as well.

I'm used to looking at workstations and only ever seen the control of cores- and number of CPU's- in BIOS. I received a new HP z620 a few days ago and BIOS can set for 1 or 2 CPU's, and select the number of cores, or "all". as well as hyperthreading on /off.

It's interesting you mentioned that one in a while a system will run off the HD from another. On the weekend I installed Win 7 Prof'l on the 2014 HP z620 from a z420 recovery partition from 2013. The recovery drive says it's useful for the z420, z620 ,and z820 There was the usual updating of drivers and it activated Windows automatically- I never had to input the key. However, the HWMonitor on the z620 was showing the Xeon E5-2690 8-core as running at up to 82C- 10 degrees over the maximum. Intel Diagonostic showed it 24 degrees under and it wasn't unti; Windows had had it 20,000 updates that HWMonitor suddenly read it at 36C. All I can think is that the dual CPU motherboard in the z620 must run a different algorithm to convert the sensor data to a number as the z420 never had that behavior.

Yes, very probably if the old HD was just plugged into the new system it will need some sorting.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Jul 5, 2022
Hello,
I'm getting similar problem, may i ask you to help because of your superior knowledge?

Got Chinese motherboard BTC79X9 witch is X79 Dual CPU (LGA2011) with 9gpu and DDR3 ECC.
I've installed on it 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 V2 2,1GHz 6c/12t and 8GB DDR3 ECC RAM (and of 9gpus).
Under BIOS witch is BTC79A04 Aptio 2.17.1246 i see properly 2 CPUs with cores and threads properly written but under every OS (W7, W10, Linux/HiveOS) i see only 4 cores (2+2). Under BIOS there is no setting like "Enable all cores".
How to get it working properly?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
I'm getting similar problem, may i ask you to help because of your superior knowledge?

Got Chinese motherboard BTC79X9 witch is X79 Dual CPU (LGA2011) with 9gpu and DDR3 ECC.
I've installed on it 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 V2 2,1GHz 6c/12t and 8GB DDR3 ECC RAM (and of 9gpus).
Under BIOS witch is BTC79A04 Aptio 2.17.1246 i see properly 2 CPUs with cores and threads properly written but under every OS (W7, W10, Linux/HiveOS) i see only 4 cores (2+2). Under BIOS there is no setting like "Enable all cores".
How to get it working properly?
This is a six year old, solved, thread that you are hyjacking. Please start your own thread. This one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS