[SOLVED] i have a asrock b450m ac and the m.2 does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2020
i recently got a 500gb crucial m.2 for the asrock b450m ac and my bios and windows is not reading it it is seated properly and everything but will not read i have taken it out and put it back in lots of times and it just will not read

Solution
In bios, disable CSM and Secure Boot. (you'll have to dig for those, mine are listed under Win8 compatability).

If that doesn't work, you may need to create a bootable uefi flash drive using GPT not MBR and the setting in bios must be AHCI. On the flash drive, include the NVMe drivers from Crucial. Unplug all other Sata connected drives except the NVMe (just the Sata data from the motherboard will be fine, no need to physically remove them) and let the pc boot from the flash drive. It should use the NVMe drivers to recognise the NVMe.
After shutdown, plug your drives back in, and on boot up it should still show up.
Did you initialize, give it a partition, and a drive letter?
  1. Click Start.
  2. Search for Disk Management and click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Right-click the hard drive marked as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized," and select Initialize Disk.
  4. Check the disk to initialize.
  5. Select the partition style: ...
  6. Assign drive letter.
  7. Click ok to finish the drive.
After these steps you should see the drive in File Explorer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Matisse, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon 2xxGE series APU)*

*Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

Standard Sata3 M.2 won't work, that Crucial needs to be NVMe.

Last edited:
  1. Have only one M.2 NVMe drive for storage
  2. Compatibilty Support Module - Select (page 77 manual) - change to DISABLED
  3. Install Windows 10 from USB with UEFI support
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

4. No searching for the M.2 drive is needed. Just insert the USB flash drive and reboot.

That is how to install Windows 10 on it.

You wrote, "my bios and windows is not reading it" It seems you already have Windows installed and your going to use it as a Data drive not a Boot drive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In bios, disable CSM and Secure Boot. (you'll have to dig for those, mine are listed under Win8 compatability).

If that doesn't work, you may need to create a bootable uefi flash drive using GPT not MBR and the setting in bios must be AHCI. On the flash drive, include the NVMe drivers from Crucial. Unplug all other Sata connected drives except the NVMe (just the Sata data from the motherboard will be fine, no need to physically remove them) and let the pc boot from the flash drive. It should use the NVMe drivers to recognise the NVMe.
After shutdown, plug your drives back in, and on boot up it should still show up.

Reactions: rllytrash
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure CSM is disabled in bios and your drive is set for AHCI not RST. Then:
Setup the flash drive. Win10 has its own drivers for NVMe that can be used but if they don't, just stick the Adata drivers on the flash drive and during Winstall, you'll get to a point where you can Load Drivers, and thats when you grab them off the flash.

May 10, 2023
I solved the problem. My drive is a Crucial P3 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB. Motherboard is Ascrock B450 Pro4.

In the bios you need to set it as in the attached pictures. Everything working :) Two M2 discs at the same time.

PHOTO 1
PHOTO 2

Status
Not open for further replies.