Question I have a brand new GTX 3090 that was just sent to me by nvidia but it doesn't seem to be working, the previous one that I sent back experienced the sa

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

film_guy01

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
A friend asked me to build him a crypto rig. I did. He paid for all the parts. He got a GTX 3090. I set it up quickly and easily (I've built 6 or 7 computers before but this was my first crypto rig). The 3090 worked fine for maybe a month. Then it just stopped. It wasn't recognized when I plugged it into the PCI-E GPU Riser and it wasn't recognized when I plugged it directly into the PCIe slot either. Won't power a monitor either. It worked on both previously.

I figured the card must have gotten fried or something, so I got an RMA and sent it back. I just got the new one, and it exhibits the same problems.

I know that the PCIe slot it working fine because I also have a RTX 3060 that works perfectly when I plug it in.

I was wondering if perhaps it's some kind of power issue, but as it worked before I know my power supply CAN run it, and also all the GPU rainbow lights come on when I turn on the computer (for whatever that's worth). Also, if I take out the 3090 and drop in the 3060 everything works fine and exactly as expected.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks!
  • Windows 10
  • ASRock H110 Pro BTC+ 13GPU Mining Motherboard Cryptocurrency
  • Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 8GB (2 x 4GB) 3200MHz Memory
  • Inland Professional 120GB SSD
  • Ubit PCI-E GPU Riser
  • Antec 750W Modular ATX 12V Power Supply
  • Intel Core i3-9100F Desktop Processor 4 Core Up to 4.2 GHz without Processor Graphics LGA1151 300 Series 65W

Last edited: