[SOLVED] I have a Graphics Card that is too big for my PC. Can someone help?

Jan 27, 2020
I have an Optiplex 990 MT and I just bought a XFX RX 570. I removed the drive caddy and everything but it still wont fit. Can I remove the back plating of the gpu? And if not, what else can I do? And what would be another card that could fit?

Solution
I actually found a way to fit it into my system. It's a tight fit and I had to remove the cd drive cable but it works. In the future ima upgrade to an i7 and a rx 580 8gb and maybe a new case.

Its not that easy as you think, first of please state your specs. Secondly as I said, It is not easy. Your cpu is probably a weak I5 i think (from the model of your pc). If you upgrade it to an I7 it won't be a large difference and if you would like to go for powerful models like the I7 8700, you would have to buy a new motherboard and RAM. And then a new psu due to the high wattage of your system. The rx580 is a very power hungry card therefore will require a decent PSU. Please send your full specifications of your computer and budget ...

laptop-Tech

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
If you have an oversized GPU my advice is Get a lager case.
PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/CY4NgJ

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($185.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: EVGA Z370 Micro ATX Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($180.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($255.93 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1589.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1589.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Total: $4765.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-27 23:06 EST-0500

I have an Optiplex 990 MT and I just bought a XFX RX 570. I removed the drive caddy and everything but it still wont fit. Can I remove the back plating of the gpu? And if not, what else can I do? And what would be another card that could fit?

It seems your computer is a pre-built office computer. Generally speaking, unless you have a large case, it is a bad idea to put in a good graphics card into a pre-built pc case as it simply may not fit and might run into bottleneck issues etc. My advice is, if you have the money, build a cheap new pc or just buy a larger case. You have a intel core i5 2400 correct?

Jan 27, 2020
It seems your computer is a pre-built office computer. Generally speaking, unless you have a large case, it is a bad idea to put in a good graphics card into a pre-built pc case as it simply may not fit and might run into bottleneck issues etc. My advice is, if you have the money, build a cheap new pc or just buy a larger case. You have a intel core i5 2400 correct?
I actually found a way to fit it into my system. It's a tight fit and I had to remove the cd drive cable but it works. In the future ima upgrade to an i7 and a rx 580 8gb and maybe a new case.

Its not that easy as you think, first of please state your specs. Secondly as I said, It is not easy. Your cpu is probably a weak I5 i think (from the model of your pc). If you upgrade it to an I7 it won't be a large difference and if you would like to go for powerful models like the I7 8700, you would have to buy a new motherboard and RAM. And then a new psu due to the high wattage of your system. The rx580 is a very power hungry card therefore will require a decent PSU. Please send your full specifications of your computer and budget , then i can recommend and see a good pc for you!

Solution