[SOLVED] I have a laptop Lenovo X390 with 8GB and 256GB drive

pectin232

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I used to have a i7 and many hard drives in the 3tb-8tb but they are all regular 3.5inch drives but at 7200rpm. To use them for video editing would be a nightmare I think as the drives would go to sleep as they are all mounted on a USB 3.0 interface. I am not george lucas but just editing some videos for youtube vacations. Will getting a fast SSD to a 3.1 USB be ok? Or using the large 5tb drives but mount them on a faster usb c interface or Thunderbolt 3 interface help? SSD beyond 1tb is expensive but 5tb-14tb on regular HD are more affordable. Can someone give me some directions in this area. I want to be able to view the videos at least in near real time while editing.. I hear a software Oscar (freeware) works wonderfully and with no lag time. How true I am not sure. I thought of getting a TB3 interface but do not want to plunge too much money into something I end up giving up after 1 week of frustrations. Update: I was also thinking of those new NVME M.2 mini drive enclosures.. that I can maybe put 1 for now a 1TB NVME drive. Among the many problems people have is the slow drive interface which drives many nuts just waiting for it to render even simple transitions.

Last edited:
Solution
The limit of the HDD will be the HDD itself, so a faster interface wont really help.

If I were you I would get a larger SSD if you need to purely edit the video you are currently working on and then look at either an external drive for backups, or if you plan on alot of content look at a NAS (Netowrk Attached Storage) from someone like Synology.
The limit of the HDD will be the HDD itself, so a faster interface wont really help.

If I were you I would get a larger SSD if you need to purely edit the video you are currently working on and then look at either an external drive for backups, or if you plan on alot of content look at a NAS (Netowrk Attached Storage) from someone like Synology.

Reactions: pectin232
Solution