I have a Nvidia GT 120 1gb what is the best graphics card I can upgrade to?

chardm

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Please elaborate more, specify your pc's relevant specification (motherboard, cpu, and psu) and your budget so we can suggest a list of graphics cards for you. As for me, its a huge upgrade from GT 120, so it will have a major bottleneck and a good PSU upgrade will be needed too.

amirrrahman1993

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Hi

It is a packard bell ixtreme 6617uk has 4gb ram intel core 2 quad 2.33ghz budget is £200.

chardm

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Wow, thats a huge budget for a graphics card to fit in your system. If you really want a graphics card in that budget, a GTX 760 will suffice, but i doubtly it would run perfectly in your system due to its major bottleneck. My recommendation for you, in that budget, if you can save up more, do a full system upgrade, build the parts yourself, tomshardware has its guide in the Systems forums, you could save alot of money too. Then you go buy a discrete gfx card.

Can't be bothered to hunt up the power supply details-please supply.
What is the monitor resolution?
As a gaming rig the CPU is going to get a hard time from some of the current AAA titles but the system should be able to play anything you throw at it smoothly, as long as you are realistic about the settings.
A full upgrade is always a nice option, but not always affordable, try to stick to the OPs budget, Chardm.

amirrrahman1993

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Hi

Thanks for all the help much appreciated the PSU is 400W and the rest of the motherboard specs are
CPU

Processor Support Socket LGA775

* Intel Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Duo (Dual Core), Pentium, Celeron

Chipset
NVIDIA GeForce 9200
FSB
1333/1066/800 MHz
Integrated Graphics
(GeForce 9200)
Memory
4 * 240-pin DDR2 DIMM slots Supports DDR2 800 MHz non-ECC , un-buffered memory (Max 8GB)

Expansion Slots
1 * PCI Express (2.0) x16
1 * PCI Express x1
2 * PCI
Storage
6 * SATA II 3Gb/s connectors
Audio
Realtek – High Definition
Ethernet
Realtek – (Gigabit) 10/100/1000Mb/s
BIOS

Rear Panel
1 * PS/2 for mouse (green color)
1 * PS/2 for keyboard (purple color)
1 * RJ45 Ethernet/LAN Port
1 * Optical S/PDIF Port
1 * VGA port
1 * HDMI Port
4 * USB 2.0 Ports
1 * Audio I/O
1 * IEEE 1394 Port
Internal
1 * 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
1 * 24-pin ATX Power connector
1 * 4-pin CPU Fan connector
1 * 3-pin System Fan connector
1 * Front Panel Audio header to support (Headphone/Mic)
1 * Front panel connector, Switch, LED (ON/OFF)
1 * Clear CMOS jumper
1 * IEEE 1394 header
3 * USB headers
1 * IDE Header
Form Factor
Micro-ATX

Better. ;)
From the pics I've found the case looks to be a 'mid tower' so at least it's not a slimline-which would be bad.
Bad new is that OEM power supplies are notoriously weak so I'll make several suggestions:
1 the HD7750/GTX650. Weakest but cheapest option. Check the specs, some use DDR3 memory, look for those that use DDR5 instead. Most GTX650s don't need an external PSU lead to run, some do, so again, check the specs, either card will run off the existing PSU if the card does not require an external PCI-E power lead.
2 HD7850/GTX650Ti Boost. A good deal faster, and more expensive, either will need a new PSU to run. Probably the best match for your budget and system.
3 HD7950/GTX760/GTX660Ti top line, VERY fast, only consider if: You're running a 1080 monitor and want some serious eye candy and you can extend the budget a little, again, they'll need another PSU to run.
For options 2 and 3 I'll suggest that you look for a 500-550Watt PSU with dual 6+2 pin PCI-E leads, there's not much price difference between this spec and something weaker.
Look for: Antec, OCZ, FSP, XFX, Seasonic, Silverstone or Corsair made units and AVOID cheap PSUs, they're cheap for several bad reasons.
Nice places to shop (amongst others) : Dabs, Overclockers, Scan, CCL, Novatech, Microdirect, Ebuyer, Pixmania and Aria.
And, as Columbo would often say: "one last thing, Sir.", get the tape measure out and check what you want will fit. It's been done plenty of times before. ;)

chardm

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
im just giving my opinion haha, in fact i didnt know more of his pc spec in that time, but if were have that money i would try saving up more and build parts myself at pcpartpicker.com. Nice detailed answer sir coozie7, hands down :).

The only thing you should worry about is the PSU. I think most of the GTX650s needs a 6 pin axullary connector, only few has none (like some green editions cards), and for that stock PSU, many recommend the HD 7750. Now for that budget, go buy a good PSU stated by sir coozie7 above me, then buy a graphics card stated by coozie7 on number 2 - 3 on his list.