Question I have a old school dell E551 monitor I have noticed that the screen appears to change or warp when there is white on the screen is there a problem

Clem218

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2015
I have a old school dell E551 monitor I have noticed that the screen appears to change or warp when there is white on the screen is there a problem, the monitor it self is is in excellent condition but I know when this monitor series was new it was classed as the value option so I'm guessing it might just a poor quality CRT tube dell used idk tbh I mean everything else about the monitor is fine condition even my computer picked up the model instead of saying its a generic monitor and the colour and image quality apart from the slight warping is brilliant so again idk

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Found this,
Thats normal for a CRT, its because when there is white, all 3 beams hit the mask at the same time which uses more power so the magnets cant compensate for it that guide the beams, maybe new capacitors will reduce this effect but you cant get completly rid of it.
also known as bloom, new capacitors might indeed alleviate the bloom effect to some extent.
The issue with blooming is that the beam itself is poorly regulated and that's a problem in the B+ which to be fair could be a bad capacitor at the root of the issue.

So, OP, if you want to correct this (the level of bloom here is beyond "normal"), then you probably should start with recapping the power supply.
source: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/...o_bright_whites_cause_the_picture_to_warp_as/