Question Issues with Netgear AX1800 (AEX20) WIFI Extender (Connected without Internet)

Amatex

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Good evening all,

So as the title suggest I brought a AX1800 (AEX20) Netgear WIFI extender a while back and it was working fine, I did end up packing it away and recently come back to it, reset it , ran through the easy setup and it said you are connected , however every device is "connected without internet" on wireless and Wired

a bit about ourset, we have a Full fibre connection , from their we have a Fritzbox 7590 AX, connected to that is a TP link powerline out to a sleepout and everything else is either wireless or ethernet connected from the fritzbox.

no wonder what I tried, Reset go thought the setup over and over,

Connect it via WPS straight to the Fritzbox

I also noticed in the Wireless > IP Address section of the extender the Gateway and DNS Server address is listed as undefined

kanewolf

Titan
Good evening all,

So as the title suggest I brought a AX1800 (AEX20) Netgear WIFI extender a while back and it was working fine, I did end up packing it away and recently come back to it, reset it , ran through the easy setup and it said you are connected , however every device is "connected without internet" on wireless and Wired

a bit about ourset, we have a Full fibre connection , from their we have a Fritzbox 7590 AX, connected to that is a TP link powerline out to a sleepout and everything else is either wireless or ethernet connected from the fritzbox.

no wonder what I tried, Reset go thought the setup over and over,

Connect it via WPS straight to the Fritzbox

I also noticed in the Wireless > IP Address section of the extender the Gateway and DNS Server address is listed as undefined
Are you doing the setup and testing of the extender in the same room as the Fritzbox ?

Have you ever connected it to the fritzbox before.

Most repeaters use a hack called WDS (note different than WPS). Since this truly is a hack and not part of the wifi standard many device consider it a security exposure. There are a number of routers that the WDS feature is turned off. On some routers you must put in the mac address of the remote repeater. Check you fritzbox for limitations.

I don't know about your repeater but some from say tplink support a addition method that work like NAT at a mac address level and will connect to any router that does not allow/support WDS.

Repeater are a huge pain to get working and they still get random outages.

On a different issue you really should not use WPS to setup anything....some stupid "smart" lightbulbs etc only work on WPS. WPS is a massive security issue and is easily cracked so you really want this disabled on your router. It is a 1 time configuration thing you just need to key in your ssid and password. WPS is for lazy people that don't care if their neighbors hack into their wifi network. Kid do it all the time to get past their parent routers that have access limitation. They will just hook to your router or any other router in range that is running WPS. You can crack WPS passwords with a simple cell phone.