Sep 24, 2020
Hello everyone!

I've got a new system recently and I ran into a problem with my CPU temperatures. My CPU is i7-4790k and for some reason, the temperatures are sky-high. It doesn't matter what the clock or the voltage settings in the bios are when it gets loaded it stays in the mid 80 to low 90. I've tried changing the cooler, remounting it, using different amounts of thermal paste. Even got as far as deliding it and now I'm direct die cooling it and it's absolutely the same. What can cause that problem? I watched my voltage draw to the CPU true CPU-Z in each test and even when it was underclocked to 3.60GHz basically like a 4790 at 1.080 V it was still getting as high as 96C. Everything other than the CPU temps is running fine and the airflow in the case is really good (I've tried open bench but that didn't change anything).

System:

Motherboard: Asrock Z97 Anniversary
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced.
Thermal Paste: Noctua NT-H1
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070SC Black Edition
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX316C10FB/8
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Titanium
PSU: MS-Tech 750W MS-N750-VAL-CM Rev. B

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hello everyone!

I've got a new system recently and I ran into a problem with my CPU temperatures. My CPU is i7-4790k and for some reason, the temperatures are sky-high. It doesn't matter what the clock or the voltage settings in the bios are when it gets loaded it stays in the mid 80 to low 90. I've tried changing the cooler, remounting it, using different amounts of thermal paste. Even got as far as deliding it and now I'm direct die cooling it and it's absolutely the same. What can cause that problem? I watched my voltage draw to the CPU true CPU-Z in each test and even when it was underclocked to 3.60GHz basically like a 4790 at 1.080 V it was still getting as high as 96C. Everything other than the CPU temps is running fine and...

dimtodim

Reputable
Hello everyone!

I've got a new system recently and I ran into a problem with my CPU temperatures. My CPU is i7-4790k and for some reason, the temperatures are sky-high. It doesn't matter what the clock or the voltage settings in the bios are when it gets loaded it stays in the mid 80 to low 90. I've tried changing the cooler, remounting it, using different amounts of thermal paste. Even got as far as deliding it and now I'm direct die cooling it and it's absolutely the same. What can cause that problem? I watched my voltage draw to the CPU true CPU-Z in each test and even when it was underclocked to 3.60GHz basically like a 4790 at 1.080 V it was still getting as high as 96C. Everything other than the CPU temps is running fine and the airflow in the case is really good (I've tried open bench but that didn't change anything).

System:

Motherboard: Asrock Z97 Anniversary
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced.
Thermal Paste: Noctua NT-H1
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070SC Black Edition
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury HX316C10FB/8
Sound Card: SB X-Fi Titanium
PSU: MS-Tech 750W MS-N750-VAL-CM Rev. B

Thanks in advance!
I see some case with same problem intel cpu and guy open cpu and change liquid thermal inside cpu...that solved problems
View: https://youtu.be/feJcgEgzzyE

Dont try this its wrong what he do for that have special tool...just see what i mean

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, you have issues.
My i7-4790k, on ASRock Z97M

Idle:
D8aBtN7.png

PRR2tGz.png

After 20 mins of Prime95:
qNtJe4C.png

Reactions: SamirD

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What are you using to measure temps? And direct die cooling on a cpu isn't healthy for cpus nowadays, many coolers won't fit tight enough to the die to make good contact, the mounting brackets being set for an IHS and not allowing for overtightening of the cooler base.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020
What are you using to measure temps? And direct die cooling on a cpu isn't healthy for cpus nowadays, many coolers won't fit tight enough to the die to make good contact, the mounting brackets being set for an IHS and not allowing for overtightening of the cooler base.
I've been using many different programs to measure the temperature "Core Temp, HW Info, MSI Afterburner. I've tried just changing the thermal paste under the IHS remounting it and it was the same. I'll put back the IHS again to see if there is going to be a difference now.

Sep 24, 2020
The 4790k is a hot chip and if you don't have a 95w+ cooler installed correctly, it definitely will run hot. Double check all your work.
As I mentioned in the post my CPU cooler is "Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced". As long as I know it has a Power rating of ~180W so it shouldn't be a problem. I've also checked all of my work probably like 10+ times now and redo it like 5 times at least which makes me believe that it is not anything with the way it's mounted. I also tried a couple of different coolers to ensure no problem with that one. The results were all the same.

As I mentioned in the post my CPU cooler is "Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced". As long as I know it has a Power rating of ~180W so it shouldn't be a problem. I've also checked all of my work probably like 10+ times now and redo it like 5 times at least which makes me believe that it is not anything with the way it's mounted. I also tried a couple of different coolers to ensure no problem with that one. The results were all the same.
Okay, so then where did you get the 4790k? Might be a good chance it's a fake or defective if the cooling is set up correctly.

Sep 24, 2020
I'm not sure exactly what fixed it but I removed the cpu put the IHS back onto it and put the hole setup together and it just got fixed. That wasn't the first time I tried that but I guess it could have been something with the cpu bracket been remounted since that's the only new variable that I added this time. I have no other explanation for that but the problem is fixed.