[SOLVED] I have a shady question about PSUs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2021
I have a question?
I am running dual PSUs (server psu+breakout board and pico) I am using a 160wat pico ,the problem is my cpu is a ryzen 9 cpu which the pico cannot power!
So can I hack up a PCI-e 6pin cable and solder an 8pin ATX head(in the correct orientation and polarity) and run my cpu directly from the breakout board!?
Though since the server psu is designed to turn on the moment it's plugged in I think I might damage the cpu because even when the motherboard isn't on the Server psu sends power to the 8pin ATX port!
Does this power hurt anything when the motherboard isn't on?
The pico comes with an 8pin atx but it is not strong enaugh to power the ryzen 9 inside!
Any suggestion is needed please!!
My build is in a 1U form factor liquid cooled
The server psu is HP 1200watt

Solution
Bottom line being that an independently powered CPU will be sitting in/on an un-powered motherboard. Or perhaps vice-versa depending on circumstances.

Out of my comfort zone now (full disclosure). However, I just cannot envision those sort of power connections

Update edit: (be they 160 watt or 400 watt) ending well.

Will defer to the EE types accordingly.

Ralston18

Titan
Not something that I would recommend.

You would need to be absolutely sure about the pinouts, voltages, cables, etc. for all involved, to be powered components.

And, I would expect that you do have the necessary soldering skills and a multi-meter to connect and test the created connections - correct?

Any schematics or diagrams to work with or from?

Are you trying to put together some sort of mining rig?

If possible, add more explanation about your project and requirements. There may be other possible ideas and suggestions.

Generally when things get cumbersome or appear to be doing so that, in my mind, is a warning flag.

Reactions: Arbër1041
Dec 11, 2021

You would need to be absolutely sure about the pinouts, voltages, cables, etc. for all involved, to be powered components.

And, I would expect that you do have the necessary soldering skills and a multi-meter to connect and test the created connections - correct?

If possible, add more explanation about your project and requirements. There may be other possible ideas and suggestions.

Generally when things get cumbersome or appear to be doing so that, in my mind, is a warning flag.
I am pretty well equipped with soldering tools and multimeters etc.
No I do not intend to build a mining rig instead I want to build a 1U form Factor Gaming/Workstation PC.
I am aware of the correct pin outs and voltages involved also!
I also have the schematics that I need.
But the problem is the server psu doesn't have a momentary switch so it's eaither ON or OFF!
But my case has a Normal pc Power switch which is Momentary!

Dec 11, 2021

Welp pheww I'm saved I was surfing through amazon and I found this version of the PICO PSU which has an output of 400watts which is 2x more than I need :)
I know I sent you into a wild goose chase but again thank you for your time and advice!!
So far this FORUM has been the most reliable and helpful!!
Much love to everyone making this possible!!

Ralston18

Titan
Bottom line being that an independently powered CPU will be sitting in/on an un-powered motherboard. Or perhaps vice-versa depending on circumstances.

Out of my comfort zone now (full disclosure). However, I just cannot envision those sort of power connections

Update edit: (be they 160 watt or 400 watt) ending well.

Reactions: Arbër1041
Solution
Dec 11, 2021

Out of my comfort zone now (full disclosure). However, I just cannot envision those sort of power connections ending well.

I have a question can you delete all my previous threads including this because things are gettings clustered!!
Thank you very much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.