[SOLVED] I have issues with disconnection and bad signal

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I have a router d-link dir-882 with a TP-Link wi fi range extender TL-WA850RE. But the problem is that the internet either keeps disconnecting or that the range fluctuates time to time.

My desktop is connected to the wi-fi range extender via ethernet cable and I use all my devices where the PC is. Signal basically fluctuates constantly or gets low latency. Good example is the Switch when docked as it can't even reach full 2 bars.

I'm planning to get a dual band router to replace the wi-fi range extender to fix this issue as I don't know how else I can get decent internet speed. When I called my ISP, the technician stated that the router has to be replaced since D-Link routers have issues being stable as they keep getting disconnected.

Can you give me a solution that can atleast give decent internet latency so I can not only access internet with no issues but play online games as well?

Solution
For most people powerline work fine. It all depends on the wiring in your house which is why you can never say for sure it will work good. The av-1000 devices are using a newer technology and tend to work in houses the older technology has trouble with. They are a somewhat faster also.

You can always use the method ISP use to install ethernet cable. Their guys have no skills in fixing and painting walls so they just drill though the outside walls and run the cable on the outside of the building. Best to use outdoor rated cable but indoor stuff will last for a number of years as long as it does not stay completely wet and it is kept out of the sun as much as possible.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a router d-link dir-882 with a TP-Link wi fi range extender TL-WA850RE. But the problem is that the internet either keeps disconnecting or that the range fluctuates time to time.

My desktop is connected to the wi-fi range extender via ethernet cable and I use all my devices where the PC is. Signal basically fluctuates constantly or gets low latency. Good example is the Switch when docked as it can't even reach full 2 bars.

I'm planning to get a dual band router to replace the wi-fi range extender to fix this issue as I don't know how else I can get decent internet speed. When I called my ISP, the technician stated that the router has to be replaced since D-Link routers have issues being stable as they keep getting disconnected.

Can you give me a solution that can atleast give decent internet latency so I can not only access internet with no issues but play online games as well?
The way you get "decent internet" is with a wire. If you don't have ethernet cabling, then next best is coax with MoCA. Then powerline network adapters. Then direct WIFI, and LAST is WIFI extender.
Paying a professional to run ethernet cabling is an option many people don't think about.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
The way you get "decent internet" is with a wire. If you don't have ethernet cabling, then next best is coax with MoCA. Then powerline network adapters. Then direct WIFI, and LAST is WIFI extender.
Paying a professional to run ethernet cabling is an option many people don't think about.

I did ask a professional but he says getting an ethernet wiring is not possible in the room where the PC is and moving it elsewhere isn't possible.

Then MoCA isn't available from where I'm living either. There is only powerline adapters and wifi extenders.

What I want to know is long term, which is better? having a secondary router or using powerline adapters?

What do you mean a "secondary router". If you connect it to the main router via wifi is still just a wifi repeater.

Powerline is almost always going to be better than any form of repeater. Direct wifi at time can be faster than powerline but it has random latency spikes. The newer powerline units av2-2000 can get 200-300mbps for many people. Even if you only get 100mbps is it still fast enough for almost all applications. Key is the latency is consistent so online games work much better.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
What do you mean a "secondary router". If you connect it to the main router via wifi is still just a wifi repeater.

Powerline is almost always going to be better than any form of repeater. Direct wifi at time can be faster than powerline but it has random latency spikes. The newer powerline units av2-2000 can get 200-300mbps for many people. Even if you only get 100mbps is it still fast enough for almost all applications. Key is the latency is consistent so online games work much better.

Ok so I looked up on my region of amazon and these are what they offer

TP-Link AV600

https://amzn.to/3fu1jFg

TP-Link AV1000

https://amzn.to/3c09kzS

As far as powerlines go, these are only what my Amazon region offers. Does it matter if they are locked at only 2.4 Ghz?

kanewolf

Titan
Ok so I looked up on my region of amazon and these are what they offer

TP-Link AV600

https://amzn.to/3fu1jFg

TP-Link AV1000

https://amzn.to/3c09kzS

As far as powerlines go, these are only what my Amazon region offers. Does it matter if they are locked at only 2.4 Ghz?
You can look for powerline that does not have built-in WIFI. Use the ethernet port and a separate WIFI source, like and old router converted to an access point

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You can look for powerline that does not have built-in WIFI. Use the ethernet port and a separate WIFI source, like and old router converted to an access point

Ok so I'm not clear...those ones that I mentioned are not powerline adapters? and instead I should buy another router?

So I should have a powerline that doesn't have wifi based..but then buy a router that supports wi fi?

kanewolf

Titan
So you mean to say that I should buy one that doesn't have built in wifi and buy another router than a powerline that has built in wifi?

But why do this if the powerline supports wi fi?
More options. You can choose to buy the best powerline. Then add WIFI if needed. Or just use the wired ethernet for your PC.
It is a personal preference. Combo units which are convenient but may not be state-of-the-are in any of their features or single units which can be more costly but has more options.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
More options. You can choose to buy the best powerline. Then add WIFI if needed. Or just use the wired ethernet for your PC.
It is a personal preference. Combo units which are convenient but may not be state-of-the-are in any of their features or single units which can be more costly but has more options.

So in this case, what should I do? Would either one of those powerlines do the job well or are they just hit and miss? There doesn't seem to be more options for powerlines or any kind of MoCA adapters in my region.

For most people powerline work fine. It all depends on the wiring in your house which is why you can never say for sure it will work good. The av-1000 devices are using a newer technology and tend to work in houses the older technology has trouble with. They are a somewhat faster also.

You can always use the method ISP use to install ethernet cable. Their guys have no skills in fixing and painting walls so they just drill though the outside walls and run the cable on the outside of the building. Best to use outdoor rated cable but indoor stuff will last for a number of years as long as it does not stay completely wet and it is kept out of the sun as much as possible.

Solution