[SOLVED] I have many choices on what Gaming PC configuration is the best. Can I have some Suggestions for best configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2018
So I am getting a Gaming PC, here are my possible configurations.

1. i9 9940x with Twin RTX 2080 Ti,

2. i9 9940x with One TITAN RTX

3. Threadripper 2990WX with Twin RTX 2080 Ti

4. Threadripper 2990WX with One TITAN RTX

Please note that I am getting a pc for GAMING, please tell me which would be the best configurations.

Solution
To add credence to the rest, a 9900k paired with a RTX titan is the pinnacle for gaming at the moment. More cores don't mean better core performance, it usually means quite the opposite. Core speeds are slower when there are more.

That's why an i5 is recommended. Less cores, but faster clocks. You want a CPU for gaming? Get an i5/i7 with higher clock. Want a CPU for rendering and editing? Get an i9 series. A rendering CPU will not game as well, like a rendering GPU isn't so good for gaming. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's meant for the job.

Note: I've spent many years as a CAD Admin. Had to get to know hardware pretty well to be of value.

DSzymborski

Titan
Therse are absolutely ludicrous choices for a gaming PC; the i9 9440x won't significantly outperform a simple i5-8600k at gaming and the Threadripper will frequently even fall short.

If you seriously want an answer, I'd recommend you supply a budget for a build and a description of your use case and your goals for this build rather than supplying us a multiple-choice buffet of poor choices and asking us to spit out an answer.

Dec 6, 2018

Please stop trying to discourage me to get some overpowered pc that you cannot afford.

Dec 6, 2018

Yeah, a Threadripper is weaker than an i5, we should give this guy a tech know it all award.

You came asking for advice and don’t like what you hear. Just because a cpu is more expensive does not mean it’s better at gaming. The best gaming cpu on the market is the 9900k which is only slightly better than the 9700k. The CPU’s you have chosen are not well suited to gaming due to weaker single core performance.

DSzymborski

Titan

I could buy your inefficient waste-of-money gaming rig every month. And still have more than enough left over to pay a psychiatrist to deal with your hostility problems and the private tutoring to teach you that workstation applications and games have very different CPU needs.

These high core count, lower-clocked CPUs are amazing for rendering or doing high-end mathematical work. For playing Battlefield V, not so much. What you're trying to argue is like arguing that a Ferrari does a better job hauling a refrigerator than a pickup truck does because it's a faster car.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Dsz actually I disagree he's arguing that a semi truck makes a better sports car because it can haul more weight and has more torque than the Ferrari.

Those cpus mentioned are absolutely beastly for some tasks.. and just pretty good for others. It's cool though he's rich off daddy's money and Willing to blow it wherever.

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
To add credence to the rest, a 9900k paired with a RTX titan is the pinnacle for gaming at the moment. More cores don't mean better core performance, it usually means quite the opposite. Core speeds are slower when there are more.

That's why an i5 is recommended. Less cores, but faster clocks. You want a CPU for gaming? Get an i5/i7 with higher clock. Want a CPU for rendering and editing? Get an i9 series. A rendering CPU will not game as well, like a rendering GPU isn't so good for gaming. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's meant for the job.

Note: I've spent many years as a CAD Admin. Had to get to know hardware pretty well to be of value.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.