Question I have my PC connected to my AVR via HDMI, it recognizes that I have up to 7.1 but only outputs two channel audio.

Apr 17, 2022
The only way my PC will output proper "surround" is while using the Netflix App. Not on browser in any manner of way, and the Amazon Prime App does not.
I wish this site would let me upload an imgur screenshot, sorry for being naive here, I'm new but have got lots of helpful tips here before. Anyways, even on my speaker setup menu where I can test each individual speaker, I can only test tone front L and R. But have all the options all the way up to Dolby Atmos in menu to the left.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
What OS are you working in?

Are these settings in Sound Settings? Volume Mixer?

In my own case I have my PC set up as a 5.1 system. I can select that within sound settings somewhere, and it shows the little graphic with the speakers making noise and they test tone. On actual playback though the only place I get actual surround is while using Netflix App. I no longer have an internal DVD player on a PC but was at one time was able to play surround off a disk connected to the 5.1. I believe this is a result of anti-piracy controls.

In your case, if you can't even get it to set up would seem to indicate something else at play.

My PC system is set up via 3.5mm jacks to each (surround) segment. For my media computer it's on HDMI to the TV as the "switch" and everything plays to my receiver via Optical.

You can hotlink from Imgur.

I wish this site would let me upload an imgur screenshot, sorry for being naive here, I'm new but have got lots of helpful tips here before. Anyways, even on my speaker setup menu where I can test each individual speaker, I can only test tone front L and R. But have all the options all the way up to Dolby Atmos in menu to the left.
In the Control Panel Sound app for your playback device, if you select Properties and Supported Formats, do you get a list of formats including DTS Audio and Dolby Digital? If you select those formats one at a time where the name of the format is highlighted, and press the Test button, does your AVR display show the name of the format and test all of your speakers at least at 5.1? This works fine for me. Also besides Netflix you should be able to get 5.1 or 7.1 sound when playing back videos in those formats using a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC Media Player where the player is set to Passthrough the multichannel sound to your computer's digital output. As an alternative you could also try connecting your computer to your AVR using a toslink optical cable and see if that gives you multichannel sound. Then you would have to decide which is easier hdmi or toslink.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022

In my own case I have my PC set up as a 5.1 system. I can select that within sound settings somewhere, and it shows the little graphic with the speakers making noise and they test tone. On actual playback though the only place I get actual surround is while using Netflix App. I no longer have an internal DVD player on a PC but was at one time was able to play surround off a disk connected to the 5.1. I believe this is a result of anti-piracy controls.

In your case, if you can't even get it to set up would seem to indicate something else at play.

My PC system is set up via 3.5mm jacks to each (surround) segment. For my media computer it's on HDMI to the TV as the "switch" and everything plays to my receiver via Optical.

Windows 10.

And this is under Sound>Speaker Setup> Choose your Configuration menu. I have the options of choosing from Stereo, Quadraphonic, Surround, 5.1, 7.1, and Dolby Atmos. The correct number of speakers will show up on the right for whichever of those I choose. However, it only let's me test tone FL and FR and outputs in Stereo.

Apr 17, 2022
In the Control Panel Sound app for your playback device, if you select Properties and Supported Formats, do you get a list of formats including DTS Audio and Dolby Digital? If you select those formats one at a time where the name of the format is highlighted, and press the Test button, does your AVR display show the name of the format and test all of your speakers at least at 5.1? This works fine for me. Also besides Netflix you should be able to get 5.1 or 7.1 sound when playing back videos in those formats using a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC Media Player where the player is set to Passthrough the multichannel sound to your computer's digital output. As an alternative you could also try connecting your computer to your AVR using a toslink optical cable and see if that gives you multichannel sound. Then you would have to decide which is easier hdmi or toslink.

Yes, it indicates that DTS, Dolby Digital, Atmos are supported. However, I'm not seeing any test button available in the properties tab.

Yes, it indicates that DTS, Dolby Digital, Atmos are supported. However, I'm not seeing any test button available in the properties tab.
You may have no choice and may have to switch to a toslink optical cable for sound. You should try that to see if at least it turns on the surround sound options in your AVR. Worse case scenario is you'll be using HDMI for video and toslink for audio but at least it will work.

Apr 17, 2022
You may have no choice and may have to switch to a toslink optical cable for sound. You should try that to see if at least it turns on the surround sound options in your AVR. Worse case scenario is you'll be using HDMI for video and toslink for audio but at least it will work.
Thanks for your help friend. Unfortunately, my PC doesn't have an optical out.

Thanks for your help friend. Unfortunately, my PC doesn't have an optical out.
Which model TV are you talking about? At most LG TVs seem to have 4.2 speakers which would mean that all of the other modes displayed in the configuration box are simulated, not real. Exactly how many real speakers does your TV or audio system really have? If there are only 2 real speakers and everything else is simulated, that would explain why you only get 2 speakers in the test tone.

Apr 17, 2022
Which model TV are you talking about? At most LG TVs seem to have 4.2 speakers which would mean that all of the other modes displayed in the configuration box are simulated, not real. Exactly how many real speakers does your TV or audio system really have? If there are only 2 real speakers and everything else is simulated, that would explain why you only get 2 speakers in the test tone.

I have a 77" C1, paired with a Sony STR-DH790 AVR with two front towers, center, height bookshelf speakers for Atmos, two subs, and bookshelf rears in a 5.1.2 configuration.

Apr 17, 2022
Ok wow. All I had to do was update my GPU. It now let's me test tone all 8 speakers. Although, it still sounds much better on Stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 makes it sound incredibly weak. Smh

Reactions: dwd999
Apr 17, 2022

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "My PC system is set up via 3.5mm jacks to each (surround) segment."?

Mine has one 3.5 out that I Y'd to L/R to AVR for when I play Rocksmith because of the delay through HDMI.