Question I have ripped the fan port off my gpu, can i fix it ?

Sep 18, 2023
Hello everyone, first post here. I was cleaning my PC to remove dust etc. When it came time to change the thermal paste on my GPU, which is an xfx Radeon 590 Fatboy, I removed the screw and proceeded normally. After everything was put back together I noticed my GPU fans weren't working (graphics looked good tho and even games were starting) so I figured it could be the connector between the GPU fans and the GPU, in fact, the connection point was very loose. And it came off after a very light wiggle. Any way to fix it?

I would add that the pins came off with the connector (between the gpu and the gpu fan's cables), would work to solder the cables directly on the back side of the GPU?
I don't have any leftover fan slots on my motherboard.

Photo of the pin i ripped off (can't take further photos until tomorrow since the GPU is at an IT shop but they say they can't fix it):

View: https://imgur.com/a/mWcPNfk

Hello everyone, first post here. I was cleaning my PC to remove dust etc. When it came time to change the thermal paste on my GPU, which is an xfx Radeon 590 Fatboy, I removed the screw and proceeded normally. After everything was put back together I noticed my GPU fans weren't working (graphics looked good tho and even games were starting) so I figured it could be the connector between the GPU fans and the GPU, in fact, the connection point was very loose. And it came off after a very light wiggle. Any way to fix it?

I would add that the pins came off with the connector (between the gpu and the gpu fan's cables), would work to solder the cables directly on the back side of the GPU?
I don't have any leftover fan slots on my motherboard.

Photo of the pin i ripped off (can't take further photos until tomorrow since the GPU is at an IT shop but they say they can't fix it):

View: https://imgur.com/a/mWcPNfk
Pins came out of PCB ?

Reactions: mcyy
Im guessing thats a Gamer nexus video?

If its ripped off the GPU plug and socket, You can rig it, I've done similar before, If you are technical enough, you can strip them wires and add in a fan plug to it and plug it into you motherboard and control the fans that way, or plug them right into a molex but it will be full blast all the time.

There are some people out there that can fix it, but will charge you, and you'd have to ship the card to them and wait.

I've used this guy myself years ago with a server board that had a broken PCI-E slot, I still use that board to this day, How to get ahold of him is in the description, you can follow the instructions in his Discord or Email him for more info. He is pretty good and reasonable.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKilL77gA2c

Good Luck

Reactions: artk2219 and mcyy
Sep 18, 2023
You may have to go for the nuclear option, which is the janky-but-frequently-effective method of attaching case fans to the GPU with rubber bands and/or ties.
I've actually thought of gluing it back toghether and hoping it would be tight enough that the connection functions properly, Will try with rubber bands before any soldering once i get the gpu back, thanks.

Sep 18, 2023
Im guessing thats a Gamer nexus video?

If its ripped off the GPU plug and socket, You can rig it, I've done similar before, If you are technical enough, you can strip them wires and add in a fan plug to it and plug it into you motherboard and control the fans that way, or plug them right into a molex but it will be full blast all the time.

There are some people out there that can fix it, but will charge you, and you'd have to ship the card to them and wait.

I've used this guy myself years ago with a server board that had a broken PCI-E slot, I still use that board to this day, How to get ahold of him is in the description, you can follow the instructions in his Discord or Email him for more info. He is pretty good and reasonable.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKilL77gA2c

Good Luck
Thanks for the resource will definitely look into it!

Reactions: artk2219
If they run when you hook them to say a motherboard fan connector I would use that option. It depends on what you damaged. It would be better if you say broke a pin but when you tear them off the board it likely removed the solder pad also. There is nothing to really solder to if that happened.

Go to a youtube channel called northridgefix and watch some of the repairs like this. It is not a trivial thing to do. It also is very expensive to pay someone to do it.

If it were a matter of putting the card in the trash or paying to fix it then maybe you pay. If you can hack together a solution even if it looks messy that is likely a better option. You likely can runt he fan at full speed with just a simple adapter directly to a power supply connector.

Reactions: artk2219 and mcyy
Sep 18, 2023
If they run when you hook them to say a motherboard fan connector I would use that option. It depends on what you damaged. It would be better if you say broke a pin but when you tear them off the board it likely removed the solder pad also. There is nothing to really solder to if that happened.

Go to a youtube channel called northridgefix and watch some of the repairs like this. It is not a trivial thing to do. It also is very expensive to pay someone to do it.

If it were a matter of putting the card in the trash or paying to fix it then maybe you pay. If you can hack together a solution even if it looks messy that is likely a better option. You likely can runt he fan at full speed with just a simple adapter directly to a power supply connector.
The solder pads on the back of the GPU card are still there, the only thing detached (from the PCB) are the pins from the fan port. Also, I was thinking that maybe I could connect the fans directly to the power supply, would that be an option? Since the motherboard has no fan slots still available (it has only 2, one for the front fans and one for the back fans, maybe splits of some sort exist, so I could plug both GPU fans and Case fans into the same slot, but I am not sure)

They make adapters to allow you to plug multiple fans into the same port. They all run at the same speed though.

Used to be before motherboards had all the fan connectors you used to always plug them into the power supply. Just have to get a adapter.