Question I have some trouble with my SSD

Jul 1, 2024
I've been using a brand new SSD for a little more than a year but a month ago it started having trouble with detection and sent me back to BIOS. I even got a few blue screens on computer starts which quickly turned into a restart ... then back to BIOS or it fixes itself. It's very inconsistent.
I updated my BIOS to the latest version and tried many different things but none of them helped. The only thing that is a temporary fix is pulling off the power cable and pressing on the power button for 30 seconds.
I used "chkdsk" in cmd and it found 344kb of bad sectors. The last thing I tried is formatting the whole thing and putting a fresh install of windows 11 with an USB. Now that I formatted the SSD it no longer shows bad sectors. Correct me if I'm wrong but even if the sectors aren't displayed they're still there and it's going to get worse?

The warranty still hasn't expired so do you think I should send it to them and see if I can get a new one?

my stuff in case you want to know;
AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
PowerColor HellHound Radeon RX 6600 8GB GDDR6
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F R2.0
Kingston FURY Beast Black 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL17
NVMe Silicon Power A60 1TB
PSU Seasonic G12 GC-650 Gold 650W

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I updated my BIOS to the latest version and tried many different things but none of them helped.
Can you pass on the BIOS version for your motherboard? Did you clear the CMOS after verifying that you'd flashed the BIOS to the latest version?

How old is the PSU in your build?

The only thing that is a temporary fix is pulling off the power cable and pressing on the power button for 30 seconds.
Try to relocate to another wall outlet and see if the issue persists.

The last thing I tried is formatting the whole thing and putting a fresh install of windows 11 with an USB. Now that I formatted the SSD it no longer shows bad sectors.
Did you reinstall the OS while all other drives were disconnected?

The warranty still hasn't expired so do you think I should send it to them and see if I can get a new one?
I would contact your seller/Silicon Power and inform them of the issue so you can initiate an RMA, if it showed with bad blocks/sectors then yes that's a cause for concern.

Jul 1, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I updated my BIOS to the latest version and tried many different things but none of them helped.
Can you pass on the BIOS version for your motherboard? Did you clear the CMOS after verifying that you'd flashed the BIOS to the latest version?

How old is the PSU in your build?

The only thing that is a temporary fix is pulling off the power cable and pressing on the power button for 30 seconds.
Try to relocate to another wall outlet and see if the issue persists.

The last thing I tried is formatting the whole thing and putting a fresh install of windows 11 with an USB. Now that I formatted the SSD it no longer shows bad sectors.
Did you reinstall the OS while all other drives were disconnected?

I would contact your seller/Silicon Power and inform them of the issue so you can initiate an RMA, if it showed with bad blocks/sectors then yes that's a cause for concern.
Hello and thank you for your time. I'm sorry but I couldn't figure out how the quotes work so if it's not a problem I'll just post everything below.

My BIOS version is 10.08[Beta] from the end of January 2024. I haven't cleared the CMOS but the version changed from 3.10 to 10.08 so I assume it's done properly. I'll try clearing if it's not fixed.
My PSU and everything in my PC was bought on January 2023. I'm in a small room so I'll see what I can do about the outlets. I'm just not sure if it's a PSU issue since it's not misbehaving while I'm using the PC.
I installed the OS on my one and only SSD.

I will try the things you suggested and if the problem still persists I guess I'll have to contact them.

I've been using a brand new SSD for a little more than a year but a month ago it started having trouble with detection and sent me back to BIOS. I even got a few blue screens on computer starts which quickly turned into a restart ... then back to BIOS or it fixes itself. It's very inconsistent.
I updated my BIOS to the latest version and tried many different things but none of them helped. The only thing that is a temporary fix is pulling off the power cable and pressing on the power button for 30 seconds.
I used "chkdsk" in cmd and it found 344kb of bad sectors. The last thing I tried is formatting the whole thing and putting a fresh install of windows 11 with an USB. Now that I formatted the SSD it no longer shows bad sectors. Correct me if I'm wrong but even if the sectors aren't displayed they're still there and it's going to get worse?

my stuff in case you want to know;
AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
PowerColor HellHound Radeon RX 6600 8GB GDDR6
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F R2.0
Kingston FURY Beast Black 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL17
NVMe Silicon Power A60 1TB
PSU Seasonic G12 GC-650 Gold 650W
Can you post a screenshot from ........crystaldiskinfo?

TRENDING THREADS