[SOLVED] I just applied thermal paste to my cpu, the temps are really high at 0-1% load anyone help?

Jun 9, 2020
so my friend told me that my cpu is over heating and I didn’t change the amd fan thermal that come with it. So after i cleaned out the thermal paste and applied new one, the tems r high af right now, the minimum its going at is 63 c and going up to 75 at 0-1% load. I asked my friend and he said wait 1 day or so any help guys?

Solution
hey bud, clean the surface completely with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol, then reapply your thermal paste as a small but sizable blob in the center of the cpu. Some people dont apply enough, and some people apply a little too much which may create unnecessary air pockets. Also, when you're reinstalling your cpu cooler, tighten the opposite corners one by one so that pressure is distributed evenly on the cpu and thermal paste. This makes the paste spread evenly. Let me know how your temps are afterwards.

RealBeast

Titan
so my friend told me that my cpu is over heating and I didn’t change the amd fan thermal that come with it. So after i cleaned out the thermal paste and applied new one, the tems r high af right now, the minimum its going at is 63 c and going up to 75 at 0-1% load. I asked my friend and he said wait 1 day or so any help guys?
That is too hot for idle temperatures. It is either (1) improperly applied paste -- too much or air gaps, (2) the heatsink is not applied against the CPU surface with the proper pressure, (3) the heatsink fan is not turning, or a combination of those problems. Time will not fix it.

Reactions: zachw9
What were the temps before changing the paste? What CPU and what heat-sink are you using? It's possible you reattached the heat-sink incorrectly or applied the paste incorrectly so it didn't spread properly.

Jun 21, 2020
hey bud, clean the surface completely with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol, then reapply your thermal paste as a small but sizable blob in the center of the cpu. Some people dont apply enough, and some people apply a little too much which may create unnecessary air pockets. Also, when you're reinstalling your cpu cooler, tighten the opposite corners one by one so that pressure is distributed evenly on the cpu and thermal paste. This makes the paste spread evenly. Let me know how your temps are afterwards.

Reactions: RealBeast
Solution