[SOLVED] I just installed RTX 3090, my PC shuts down after i play RUST/ARK on maximum settings

Sep 24, 2020
Hello people,
this is my first thread on here. I would be really happy if you could try to help me out.
I am hardcore gamer and video producer. I spend most of my days on rendering in Premiere or playing games on 1440p monitor.
So far I have been using GPU: 980ti and as the new era of RTX 30 came out i decided to fast get hands on 3090 RTX.

So today i drove as fast as I could to the retail shop, bought it, detached 980ti, installed drivers and woala 3090 is attached.
And because I have seen that it is capable of 8k 60fps Doom games, I decided to give it a try on my most favorite games.

RUST / ARK

1440p. Monitor 144Hz ASUS ROG Swift.

So far I had no problem with playing games on 980ti on this setup. However.

Now when I play the games, I tried to max the settings on first try to EPIC .. and then it stood on 110FPS and aftert 5second boom... black screen, restart...
This happened even in ARK game.

Now I have tried to lower the settings on the RUST to what geforce experience says .. and again it happens... restart.

Funny part is, that if i leave the game in window (rolled down-not active) it stays on and its ok. As soon As i open the windows... in 5 seconds ... boom restart..

Playing WOW on maximum details is just totally ok, nothing happens.

I tried rendering in Premiere and the GPU goes like 96% usage and nothing bad happens. Only in games.

Please smart community, help me out.

Specs:
CPU: i7-7700k@ 4.2Ghz
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC
RAM: 32 GB (DDR4)
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 850W PSU
Motherboard: PRIME Z270-K

EDIT: Now it happens as soon as some gameplay appears.. assasins creed odysses did not even load up. As soon as the bar got 100% PC crashed.

Last edited:
Solution
The Corsair RM 850W unit you have linked to is an excellent choice, and a known high-quality model. The RMx from the tsbohemia site is slightly better.

Basically, for Corsair, from good to best are: TX, RM, RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX or AXi.
Similary, Seasonic: the Focus is very good, the Prime is better still.

I think that, unless the prices are close to the "lower" models, the Prime, as well as the Corsair H and A series, are probably overkill.

Unfortunately, with a lot of power supplies, they may tout high wattage ratings, but either don't provide most of it on the 12V rail, and/or are low quality and can't be relied on to safely deliver the power they claim. Efficiency ratings 80 Plus gold, silver, etc., only tell you about...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is your motherboard BIOS version the most recent available? Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Are Windows and your main drivers (video, chipset, network, etc) up to date?

My first thought in PSU, but we aren't there yet.

Sep 24, 2020
Is your motherboard BIOS version the most recent available? Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Are Windows and your main drivers (video, chipset, network, etc) up to date?

My first thought in PSU, but we aren't there yet.

I am not overclocking anything at this moment. Just monitoring. I have never updated BIOS as far as I know. Will try to figure out how.

First and foremost your PSU is of poor quality that I wouldnt trust in a 600 dollar computer let alone one with a 1500-2000 dollar graphics card. Either that or this is the first PSU from Aerocool that I have ever heard of that is worth mentioning.

Somthing like this will most likely solve your issues when you narrow them down to the PSU:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.93 @ Newegg)
Total: $139.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 14:47 EDT-0400

Reactions: King_V
Sep 24, 2020

I have updated everything as you have suggested and the problem remains. World of Warcraft for example runs smoothly. Rendering aswell. RUST/ARK/Assasins Creed goes of with my PC as soon as some game graphics turns on.

Sep 24, 2020
I concur with @helper800 - see the first link in my signature for a writeup on power supplies. Aerocool is one of the (many) brands that's on the wall of shame.

Thank you and helper800 for this information. The recommended PSU for the card is 750W. So I thought that 850W would be just enough. Never had any problem on same PC build until today's change of card.

Do you think that buying another 850W (same power output) for example the " Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified " would be enough?
Isn't fetching something like 1200W more safe for this issue ?

Thank you in advance for help.

P.

Thank you and helper800 for this information. The recommended PSU for the card is 750W. So I thought that 850W would be just enough. Never had any problem on same PC build until today's change of card.

Do you think that buying another 850W (same power output) for example the " Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified " would be enough?

P.

Sounds to me that your GPU is giving your PSU alot of hard work to do so Yes suggest getting 1000W PSU just to try it out and see if it works!. 3090 is power hungry and having abit of extra power can be good thing

Last edited:
Reactions: PeeTeaCane

P.
For your system 850w should be enough, Your problem is that the PSU you have is rated for that but after ageing is no longer capable of it. Any good PSU of 850W or more will serve you well. What country do you live in? I can help find one for you that I know is good.

Sep 24, 2020
For your system 850w should be enough, Your problem is that the PSU you have is rated for that but after ageing is no longer capable of it. Any good PSU of 850W or more will serve you well. What country do you live in? I can help find one for you that I know is good.

Funny thing is ... that now, few hours after installing of GPU, even going through Adobe's Premiere 4k footage and playing it turns off my PC... That did not happen when i wrote this post.

Few hours back I was even able to render. Now playing preview kills my PC.
If that is the PSU, then it looks like it is getting somehow damaged more and more.

I do live in Czech Republic.

Preffering this site
https://www.tsbohemia.cz/elektronika-komponenty-skrine-a-zdroje-zdroje-800w-az-899w_c6337.html

Thank you all who are participating in this problem of mine. You all are really good people.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Corsair RM 850W unit you have linked to is an excellent choice, and a known high-quality model. The RMx from the tsbohemia site is slightly better.

Basically, for Corsair, from good to best are: TX, RM, RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX or AXi.
Similary, Seasonic: the Focus is very good, the Prime is better still.

I think that, unless the prices are close to the "lower" models, the Prime, as well as the Corsair H and A series, are probably overkill.

Unfortunately, with a lot of power supplies, they may tout high wattage ratings, but either don't provide most of it on the 12V rail, and/or are low quality and can't be relied on to safely deliver the power they claim. Efficiency ratings 80 Plus gold, silver, etc., only tell you about efficiency, not quality. There are, after all, terrible power supplies that manage to be pretty efficient until they fail.

I once again concur with @helper800 - age is a problem with a PSU, but, Aerocool just doesn't make good power supplies, unfortunately. It's a problem that plagues the power supply market, because there are a LOT of bad ones out there. And, even the PSU makers that are known to make good PSUs have one or two stinkers in their product lineup.

Looking at the tsbohemia site: I would trust the Corsiar RM/RMx/RMi models, and the Seasonic Focus model.

The AX model is a little strange, being cheaper and having a lesser warranty. I suspect it's an older version because the wattage number ends in 60 instead of 50, and the color-scheme (the AX is a different color than the wattage number in the model), but I'm not really familiar with the very high end models.

I don't think you'd need to go past 850W unless you plan for an upgrade to a 10th gen intel i7 CPU and plan to overclock it. Honestly, if you do upgrade your motherboard/CPU in the future, it is probably better to go with Ryzen.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Funny thing is ... that now, few hours after installing of GPU, even going through Adobe's Premiere 4k footage and playing it turns off my PC... That did not happen when i wrote this post.

Few hours back I was even able to render. Now playing preview kills my PC.
If that is the PSU, then it looks like it is getting somehow damaged more and more.

I do live in Czech Republic.

Preffering this site
https://www.tsbohemia.cz/elektronika-komponenty-skrine-a-zdroje-zdroje-800w-az-899w_c6337.html

Thank you all who are participating in this problem of mine. You all are really good people.
Below is a list of them from that site that will do you well:
https://www.tsbohemia.cz/seasonic-prime-gx-1000-gold-1000w-_d354101.html
https://www.tsbohemia.cz/corsair-hx1000-1000w-_d300849.html
https://www.tsbohemia.cz/corsair-hx1000i-1000w-_d215729.html