Question I keep getting fatal directX errors (11000002)

Jun 11, 2019
I recently bought (by mistake\my own lack of research) 2 GTX960's. I tried putting one in my computer but no driver would work with it (turns out to be a Chinese knock off). When i tried to install the driver again, my computer blue screened during the installation. I tried putting my old card back in (GTX 750ti from MSI) which i know works and has done perfectly for the past couple of years, I got the same error (A fatal DirectX error has occurred (1100002)). I tried to re-install windows and install all the drivers again using just my GTX 750ti but i still keep getting the same error (i have a screenshot if it would help). I have no clue as to what to do next, i have searched google for a couple of days trying everything out but nothing works. I have nothing overclocked as i can't afford to risk things going wrong.

Computer specs are:
Windows 10 Pro Build 1809
CPU: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.00GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte 990-FX Gaming (rev 1.0)
RAM: 8Gb Corsair Vengence @1666 MHz (DDR3)
1Tb HDD
Arctic Blue 850w PSU

If anymore info is needed please let me know and i will get you all that i can. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I tried to re-install windows and install all the drivers again using just my GTX 750ti but i still keep getting the same error (i have a screenshot if it would help).

Yes. Can you first share the screenshot of this problem ? Also, your current PSU isn't a very good high quality unit. Never heard of this brand before, but a quick google search points out it being a generic low-quality budget unit, IMO.

So now even your OLD GPU isn't working on this same system ? Have to tried to reset/clear all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default ? Also, update the system BIOS if need be. But this sounds more like a motherboard problem to me, though I'm just making a guess here.

Did you do a CLEAN/fresh format of the OS ?

Jun 11, 2019
Yes. Can you first share the screenshot of this problem ? Also, your current PSU isn't a very good high quality unit. Never heard of this brand before, but a quick google search points out it being a generic low-quality budget unit, IMO.

So now even your OLD GPU isn't working on this same system ? Have to tried to reset/clear all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default ? Also, update the system BIOS if need be. But this sounds more like a motherboard problem to me, though I'm just making a guess here.

Did you do a CLEAN/fresh format of the OS ?
Hi, thank you for your response. Yes i have tried clearing the CMOS and flashed the BIOS. I completely formatted the HDD when i re-installed windows, did all the updates and then tried to install the drivers. The PSU is a budget one, but has served me well with nothing going wrong for the past couple of years (i had a 700W PSU before this and it blew up on me and i couldn't afford a new expensive one. I have linked the screenshot as am not sure how to attach an image to this sorry. If you need i can also screenshot my DxDiag pages. View: https://imgur.com/pEYQUWm

That's a game engine ERROR, Final Fantasy XIV. This has been a known issue with this particular game, imo. But you told you are getting this error during the GPU driver installation process ?? No, I don't need any DXDIAG reports though.

For this game:

- Switch to DirectX 9 mode (select ‘Config’ from the launcher)

- Perform a clean boot ( Open the task manager and select the 'Start up' Tab. Disable everything here and restart the PC. )

- Set compatibility mode to Windows 7 (To change compatibility mode, right click on the exe file (Default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn\boot\ffxivboot.exe), right click it and select ‘Properties.’ Select the ‘Compatibility’ tab and select Windows 7.)

Underclocking and undervolting the GPU also helps alleviate this particular game error.

Jun 11, 2019
That's a game engine ERROR, Final Fantasy XIV. This has been a known issue with this particular game, imo. But you told you are getting this error during the GPU driver installation process ?? No, I don't need any DXDIAG reports though.

For this game:

- Switch to DirectX 9 mode (select ‘Config’ from the launcher)

- Perform a clean boot ( Open the task manager and select the 'Start up' Tab. Disable everything here and restart the PC. )

- Set compatibility mode to Windows 7 (To change compatibility mode, right click on the exe file (Default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn\boot\ffxivboot.exe), right click it and select ‘Properties.’ Select the ‘Compatibility’ tab and select Windows 7.)

Underclocking and undervolting the GPU also helps alleviate this particular game error.
Yeah i installed MSI afterburner to drop the clock speed and voltage of the card. The error i get when installing the driver is a bluescreen that appears for literally a second or 2 so i don't have enough time to take a picture of it before my computer restarts sorry, but after it restarts it can POST a few times before going to windows diagnostics and after that it take a couple more reboots before my computer will actually load into windows again. As i mention nothing in this computer has been overclocked (except the card, MSI GeForce GTX 750ti 2Gb OC Edition) so i think the card is factory overclocked but i have never adjusted any setting for it before today. I saw a video of someone else having the same problem and they fixed it by installing MSI afterburner and reducing clock speed to minimum. I have attached a picture of the GPU box as you seem more knowledgeable about this than me and maybe you know something i don't about this card, i got the screen in the background to prove it is actually me and that i was writing this when taking the picture View: https://imgur.com/C87r7na