[SOLVED] I kill my friend's graphics card, but it still detected on mining riser?

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
First is HD 7750 which is mine died without reason next morning when i want to do Zoom Meet luckily i have a laptop, second is GTS 450 which is also mine died after an incident where the mining riser connector reverted causing fried-like smell coming from the gpu, third is GT 630 this is actually my first gpu i sell it to my friend then borrow it to test my computer since my GTS 450 died. Ok, the last one is a bit weird, when i turn on the computer then do force shutdown by pressing the power button it turned off after 3 second no display tho, next the title said i have mining riser, yes, it 009s riser that i bought secondhand it has usb to mpcie connector for laptop, so i try it on my laptop and magic happen GT 630 detected and Nvidia driver can be installed.

Question: Did i really, really KILL the gt 630?

Sorry for the grammar, i speak super broken english.

Solution
if it's detected, you can install drivers, and is working... then it's not dead.

and, i dunno if i'm reading this right but you connected a pcie riser to a laptop's usb port? that should not work, the pcie x1 to x16 riser only uses a usb cable to link the riser to the motherboard, it doesn't use the usb standard. trying to install a pcie riser to a regular usb port may damage the port itself.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
if it's detected, you can install drivers, and is working... then it's not dead.

and, i dunno if i'm reading this right but you connected a pcie riser to a laptop's usb port? that should not work, the pcie x1 to x16 riser only uses a usb cable to link the riser to the motherboard, it doesn't use the usb standard. trying to install a pcie riser to a regular usb port may damage the port itself.

Solution

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020

I use usb to mini pcie connector, the risers works like exp gdc it connect to laptop through wlan card slot. And about that graphics card thank you for letting me know, i think i should return it ASAP before something bad happen.