[SOLVED] I need a 4k gaming monitor, how do I choose a good one?

rus4u

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014
Hi All,

I want to get a 4k gaming monitor 27"-28"to play latest games on high/ultra settings on my PC and PS5( when it will be possible to get one).

I have AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB which I will be upgrading to RTX 3060 TI 8GB / RTX 3070 8GB / RX 6800 XT 16GB / RTX 3080 10GB just cannot decide which one is better to go for.

So my question is how do I choose a good gaming monitor? What do I need to make sure it has?

Any help and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Solution
A 4k monitor(3840 x 2160)on a 24" display
Will have about 4x the number of pixels as a
1080P(1620 x 1080) monitor. A full web page will occupy 1/4 the space on the 4k monitor, so the text must be smaller.
You can get 4 of them at once.
4k will look good for lots of details, but reading text becomes more difficult.
As to ips vs. tn, the common wisdom is that tn panesl are usually faster but ips gives better image quality and a wider 178/178 viewing angle.
A wider viewing angle is better or the details on the periphery of the monitor will look waahed out.

Really, it is best to read detailed reviews of a monitor before buying.
"I really like it" from a user would not suffice for me.
If you can, buy from a shop with a good return...
First of all, it is best to see some candidate monitors in person if you can.
What is your budget?

Do you play fast action games, or more visual games such as mmo?
A monitor is a long term investment, consider your purchase carefully.
One issue with 4k is that the text is small, so a larger monitor than 27" is better for desktop work.
I would consider a 35" widescreen option.

For 4k gaming, the reviews I have seen would point to a 3080 as a graphics card. If you can find one, let alone anywhere near to MSRP.

If you can not see such a monitor in person, search for reviews, particularly gaming oriented.

rus4u

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014
Panel type?
Not sure about the panel type at all, what is it?
Preffered brands?
I have 3 Ace monitors: 24"x2 and one 27" so would like to replace that one for a gaming 4k one but really don't mind any more or less popular brands such as Asus, Samsung, Dell, LG, HP etc
Get the 3080 for 4k or 6800XT.
thanks

First of all, it is best to see some candidate monitors in person if you can.
What is your budget?
I live in Manchester, UK, cannot think of any place where there are lot's of gaming monitors to see
I would say around £300-400
Do you play fast action games, or more visual games such as mmo?
I play World Of Tanks most of the time + Shooting games like Metro that is for PC, on PlayStation I prefer FIFA and again shooting games like Days Gone, The last of Us, God of War as well
A monitor is a long term investment, consider your purchase carefully.
totally agree with you
One issue with 4k is that the text is small, so a larger monitor than 27" is better for desktop work.
I would consider a 35" widescreen option.
really? small text? well at the moment my computers resolution is 1920x1080 works fine for me, how different is 4k to use for regular computer work?
Don't need anything bigger than 27-28" really
For 4k gaming, the reviews I have seen would point to a 3080 as a graphics card. If you can find one, let alone anywhere near to MSRP.
If you can not see such a monitor in person, search for reviews, particularly gaming oriented.
thanks

A 4k monitor(3840 x 2160)on a 24" display
Will have about 4x the number of pixels as a
1080P(1620 x 1080) monitor. A full web page will occupy 1/4 the space on the 4k monitor, so the text must be smaller.
You can get 4 of them at once.
4k will look good for lots of details, but reading text becomes more difficult.
As to ips vs. tn, the common wisdom is that tn panesl are usually faster but ips gives better image quality and a wider 178/178 viewing angle.
A wider viewing angle is better or the details on the periphery of the monitor will look waahed out.

Really, it is best to read detailed reviews of a monitor before buying.
"I really like it" from a user would not suffice for me.
If you can, buy from a shop with a good return policy that is best.
On occasion, cheaper monitors will have dead or stuck pixels which can be annoying.

Reactions: rus4u
Solution
Reactions: rus4u