I need a second opinion on this build (its more or less a new build)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flugnugget

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I don't know much about rebates (had one with eVGA, I had my mom send it in since at the time, I didn't have a means to order online, and the order was under her name. Not sure if we ever got it. It looks like they all end on the 2nd though, so if I pay a little bit extra and get the shipping on the stuff from ZipZoomFly (I managed to save a few extra bucks by getting a few of the products from zipzoomfly and avoid shipping costs, but I may have to suck it up and go for it.

I'll have to add up the totals between the two and see who comes out cheaper with shipping added (ZipZoomFly ships free, but its for 5-7 day, and if I wanna make rebate (and get that beautiful baby running), I'll have to have it shipped 3 day.

I honestly cannot see anything wrong with this rig. Granted, it breaks budget a fair bit, I'm sure my case can hold it (If you weren't aware, the TsunamiDream is notorious for its... limited internal size, beings as its a mid-size case. I have it set in such a way that the video card (which I know is definitely longer than the 7x series) and its power connection shouldn't have problems fitting. Worst case (heh) scenario, I have an old steel case (its pretty big, has decent airflow) I can put the stuff into until I can afford to buy a new case.

Sorry for my language, but that this is **** SEXY. Kamrooz, I owe you one, you've been leaps and bounds more helpful than anyone else I've requested assistance from on this project. This build, its a bit more expensive, and admittedly I'm uncomfortable spending the money, but screw it, smoke 'em if ya got 'em, is what I was once told. I have enough to tide me over for car insurance, and still have a reasonable amount of cash in the bank for any expenditures.

Let me rid my computer of spyware (I usually scan the heck outta my computer before I do any online purchasing, just to be on the safe side. Can't take any chances these days..

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
lol...No worries man ^_^. I do the same thing with spyware checking as well. I'm paranoid like that.

The nice thing about this rig is no money would go wasted. If you nabbed a x1900XT you would have seen some big performance from your current card. But after all, it is still previous gen. But with this card you're getting DX10 support along with it. Also keep in mind if you end up saving some more money in the next 3 months..You can trade it in for a 8800GTX for an extra 205 dollars (they lowest 8800 GTX from EVGA is 499.99..worth it when you get the cash)..If you have the funds. Wait till at least november though if you decide to..during october nvidia will release information about their new card which should come out in november...Also if a 9800 GTX or 8900 GTX just happens to pop up..You can trade it in for that as well. If that happens I can't urge enough how you really should step it up. Afterall..If it is a 9800 GTX..it'll be at the top of the hill for minimum a year...

Also..The only downside is we couldn't get you a aftermarket heatsink + thermal compound. But the stock heatsink and thermal goop should do fine for now. The fact that we got you a quality mobo, ram, psu, and cpu means you have overclocking room now. You got some tasty d9 microns in that rig...So you'll be able to overclock quite a bit if you plan to do so. Overall a very worth upgrade.....But if you do plan to oc....You might want to get an aftermarket cooler down the road when you recover...Since you have a dual core you can probably OC a bit with the stock heatsink..If it was a quad you might have had a bit of heating issues...But for an after market cooler..off the top of my head..

A Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or
Thermalright Ultima 90 (Make sure it's ultima...not ultra) or
Tuniq tower 120

Any of these 3 would do..They are at the top of their chain. If you dislike the size of the tuniq tower and ultra 120's massive heatsink..the Ultima 90 will deliver almost the same performance at a much smaller size...If you plan to get the thermalright ultra 120 or ultima 90..couple it with a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F fan and you have the best cooling possible. The Ultra 120 and ultima 90 both come with clips to attach a fan of your choice. Even though the ultima 90 is smaller it has two clips..one for a 90mm fan and one for a 120mm fan....Also add some Arctic Silver 5 and you're set..

This is farther down the road though. But by getting the build you just nabbed...you got a rig that has overclock potential as well as quality components....You also already have the overclocking ram that's heavily recommended...enjoy ^_^.

Hopefully you can make the rebates..especially the memory rebate which is literally mind blowing to let them sell for that cheap....Enjoy ^_^

Do remember though!...9800 GTX or 8900 GTX = STEP UP NOW!...lol..God..talking about new hardware gets me giddy..Even though I can't afford it!..haha..bah..I think about a 9800 GTX then think about my cruddy x700 pro..it makes me want to cry...lol..

If you have any questions just holler! ^_^.

Flugnugget

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
That stepping up is EXACTLY what I plan to do, I'd imagine by the time it would be reasonable to do so, I'll be working again, so I have a financial backing and I'm not running myself bankrupt.

I'll look into those coolers. I had a Zalman a while back but gave it to my dad when my P4 roasted itself. I wish I could find my Arctic Silver though, that stuff is expensive and I only used it once... I'll have to root it out if heat becomes an issue.

I too, get giddy when I consider upgrading all of my stuff or building computers for people. Its a fun process. The not-so-fun part is finding my XP CD and then reformatting, but I like to have a fresh start. I'd liked to have had a fresh start.... a year ago.

lol...

Thanks again. I'm going to order the parts right now, I'll let you know if anything comes up.