Question I need advice - - - New MSI Max mobo - - - should I run GPU in x8 in Gen5 Slot ?

Nov 29, 2023
Hello,

Im doing a new build. it will be..... i9 13900KF -- RTX 3080 -- MSI Tomohawk WIFI MAX Z790 -- mixture of Gen3 and Gen 4 NVME drives ( I have NO Gen5 NVME)

I just received the new MSI Tomohawk MAX Z790 board to use with a 13900KF. I was reading thru the manual and realized that it says, " If you use the top M.2 slot, your GPU will run in x8." I posted a screenshot of the manual below ( bottom bullet point is the one I'm talking about).

I have a RTX EVGA 3080 FTW. Im thinking, well, crap If I install my older Gen3 NVMe M.2 in the top slot (For my OS) I'm screwed because my GPU is only going to run at x8. I work in the 3D industry and need as much throughput as possible to my GPU as possible. Not sure why MSI would do this....unless they are being foreward-looking because when GPUs that support Gen5 PCIe come out they will ONLY need x8 because PCIe Gen5 is just THAT fast? But that kinda screws us until then... but I'm not sure that's why they did it, that's why I'm here.

I guess i can install my Gen3 NVME OS drive in another M.2 slot so my GPU will run at x16 speeds- aaaand just only use 3 NVME M.2 drives until Nvidia/AMD decides to make GPUs that are gen5 PCie ( which apparently wont need x16 because, a brand new mobo CANT do x16 with a m.2 in the top slot)

Can someone explain to me why MSI would do this? I just want to be able to use the top m.2 slot and have my GPU run at x16...but apparently its not possible

Also, any advice on where to install my gen3 nvme?

Thanks for the help in advance , i hope this makes sense :)

Notice, the bottom bullet point. Honestly I still don't believe it's true, but it does say it....🤷‍♂️:??:
run-at-x8.png

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
This is common in many boards. The tomahawk is mid range, it isn't classed as a creator or high end board and they have a few compromises. My Asrock Nova wifi, same thing.
No one should be using that top m.2 slot direct to the CPU if they have a serious GPU in the top pcie slot and they care about every last bit of GPU performance.

Reactions: Phaaze88