I Need Advice, Which Should I Upgrade? The GPU Or CPU? For the best experience while gaming and workstation?

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
I've build my PC.
Its around 5 month ago. Before the kabylake & 1080ti announce.

My 2016 Build:
Core I5 6400 (Run Stock)
GPU : EVGA GTX 1060 3GB Gaming. (Run Default clock & boost) (Advance Curve Fan)
Ram Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 16 Gb (8x2) (Run Stock) DDR4
ASUS H110M-D DDR4
Power supply Professional (?Unknown Brand?) 500W (Silent, Cool, Stable, Nice Build Quality)
Benq TN Panel, GL 2460 FHD
---------------------------------------

I do wanna ask:
What is the best solution for upgrading to reach the excellent experience in gaming and also workstation. Because I also need for editing, such as audio and visual?

1. Should I go to the Kabylake I7 7700k? (update the bios H110M-D to support it)
2. Or Should I upgrade the GPU to GTX 1080ti? Or maybe the GTX 1080 / GTX 1070?
I do play game such as The Witcher 3, GTA 5, Watch Dogs 2, Metal Gear Solid 5, Battlefield, COD and ect.
I realize the Witcher 3 and Watch Dogs is not running smoothly with this build at 1080p in 60FPS with max setting. And the temp GPU some times reach 83'C. Wow, its hot.
The I5 only reach max 45'C while heavy load.

Is the i7 7700k will proving more FPS? (i realize I can't over clock it because of the Motherboard Chipset) I'm fine using it at default. Or Should i Just Upgrade the GPU to 1070 - 1080ti for more smooth FPS in 60 1080p?

I've a limited budget, because I can't buy the two of them now. I've to choose one of them.
Please... I need some advice.

Thanks a million.

Solution
The GTX 1060 can do 60fps 1080p, but it can't max out settings on all games. You should be able to lower certain settings a bit to achieve 60fps.

If you upgrade your GPU first, your CPU may present a bottleneck in some of the games you mentioned, as it may already be doing so. You have the right idea though; i7-7700K and GTX 1070 or better. Honestly, you could get a non-K or even 6th-gen i7 (to save money) seeing how you have an H110 mobo.

You should also find out exactly which power supply you have. It's the most important part of a gaming/workstation PC. Find out what brand/model it is by looking at the sticker on the side of it and let us know.
The GTX 1060 can do 60fps 1080p, but it can't max out settings on all games. You should be able to lower certain settings a bit to achieve 60fps.

If you upgrade your GPU first, your CPU may present a bottleneck in some of the games you mentioned, as it may already be doing so. You have the right idea though; i7-7700K and GTX 1070 or better. Honestly, you could get a non-K or even 6th-gen i7 (to save money) seeing how you have an H110 mobo.

You should also find out exactly which power supply you have. It's the most important part of a gaming/workstation PC. Find out what brand/model it is by looking at the sticker on the side of it and let us know.

Solution

tanckattb

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
For good workstation use, I suggest not getting the 7700k, as since you're not going to overclock it. The 7700 is a better buy in your case.
Also, updating the BIOS is a really risky thing, and could cause some problems. The i7-7700 will still give you good multi threaded speeds, and is good for both workstation use and gaming. The 1060 is fine, just leave it.

I'd keep things simple. Upgrade to the 6700. Apart from the KISS principle it seems to me the 7700K runs too warm.

How often do you use canned air to clean your GPU and CPU heatsink fins? How many case fans? You can use MSI AB. It isn't just an OC utility. Set up a custom fan curve so your fans don't let your GPU get that hot.

^That EVGA GTX 1060 has a dinky cooler on it.

If we're looking at non-K i7, we should also look at a Xeon.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $239.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-13 08:46 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($251.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $251.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-13 08:47 EDT-0400

You shouldn't have any problems with 1080p 60fps, its not that demanding and your system is decent. Without upgrading your monitor so you can benefit from either higher resolution or higher Hz there is no tangible benefit in upgrading either CPU or GPU.

I'd save your money until there is need to upgrade, by then you should get an upgrade you will actually benefit from.

FYI the 7700k at stock runs at 4.2 (boost single core 4.5) but the 7700 runs at 3.6 (boost single core 4.2). That's a reasonable bump even if not overclocking so might be worth it in the right circumstances (high fps gaming) as long as the price difference isn't too great.

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

Hi MrNiceGuys.

Yes I've tried to set down the settings. But still cant get the locked 60 FPS. sometimes reach 40 FPS.

I cant find the brand name, Its just show number and ect.
Soon I'll upgrade after this CPU or GPU matter solve in a couple of month,
And go to Super Flower Platinum King 650W. (80+ Platinum) Great Value and Price.

I'm start to thinking maybe the i5 6400 is not strong enough..
And heavy while overload the workstation task.

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

hi tanckattb

I'm asking about 7700k because of the clock speed.
Yes i agree about updating bios, I have no other options here.
Is the 7700 kabylake did you mean (7th gen)? because the 6700 is the skylake (6th gen).
Because my bio mobo still need update if i use the 7700.

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

Hi aquielisunari

How warm is it in the condition 7700k Non OC mode while turbo? is it reach the 70" C degree?
Last month I check there's no dust.
I'm Using 3 Fan,
12cm Front (+), (run full speed turbo)
80cm Back (-), (Stock full speed)
80cm Side (-) panel near GPU (run full speed/ turbo)

Yes I've using the MSI AB for the advance fan curve, and its still reach 80' C degree.
Last 2 days, I set the curve it's reach almost 70"C only.
And the next day, reach 80"C. I forget to save the setting. Oh my.......

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

Yeah the EVGA 3Gb version only 1 fan, That's make it hot.
wish they have 2 fans, maybe its bit lower temperature will i achieve.

hmmm.. i don't wanna use Xeon. But thanks for the advice.

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

Hi tanckattb

Yeah, I know. My Benq will lock it to 60FPS. But i'm fine with 60 FPS. its enjoyable.
But the matter now is I still get the 40 FPS, and sometime its lagging. I want it locked up to 60 FPS.
Thats why I start to thinking is it because of the I5 6400 is not strong enough? Or maybe the GPU?

Yes I need the higher clock speed, thats why i mention 7700K. But risky if updating the bios.
The Price have a small different between those two.

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Guys, If I may Ask.
Which is good enough.

Since you guys mention to the CPU.
Should I get the 7700k or non K? Or 6700k / 6700 version?
Which is the best choice in my situation.

The EVGA Superclocked edition has only 1 fan but a bigger aluminum/copper heatsink that keeps it much cooler. The non-superclocked model has a much smaller cooler that doesn't cool so well.

"Good enough" is the Xeon. Best performance is the 7700K. Your choice, your budget.

Both CPU and GPU play in to dropping below 60fps. You can do 60fps w/ the GTX 1060 (still may need the Xeon/i7) if you lower settings such as anti-aliasing (use only FXAA, no MSAA or TXAA).

side_ioga

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

I see.
So the 3gb evga superclocked is got better heatsink. I thought it was the same heatsink. I'm wrong then. Haha.

Alright then. Thanks bro for the advice.