[SOLVED] I need an app to back up only the main data folders in OS X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi,
Sometimes I need to back up the main data in a hard drive, such as documents, videos, emails, etc so I can reinstall OS X then restore the data. I'd use this app once only, so I don't need this app to back up regularly. I wonder if there's some (preferably free) app that lets you choose which folders to back up.
I found Migration Assistant, Time Machine and Disk utility-restore aren't very good for this.

Solution
Hi rodion,

Carbon Copy Cloner is one of the best apps on Mac for this. It isn't free, but you can specifically setup what files/ folders you want backed up to your other drive. It also DOES have a regular backup option if you ever want to set up backups that are a bit more specific than time machine.

CCC is a quality piece of software that hasn't ever produced a bad backup for me, and I've run 100's of TB through the backup process.

Link to CCC: https://bombich.com/
Hi rodion,

Carbon Copy Cloner is one of the best apps on Mac for this. It isn't free, but you can specifically setup what files/ folders you want backed up to your other drive. It also DOES have a regular backup option if you ever want to set up backups that are a bit more specific than time machine.

CCC is a quality piece of software that hasn't ever produced a bad backup for me, and I've run 100's of TB through the backup process.

Link to CCC: https://bombich.com/

Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Thanks, I used carbon copy cloner today. I chose folder to folder restore to restore from the Users folder I had backed up from a fatally damaged drive but it worked fine.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I guess Time Machine backup is good to backup the whole volume then restore the folders you choose. But I think you cannot backup only choice folders.

McHenryB

Admirable

You can specify which folders/files you don't want to backup with Time Machine so it's easy to, for example, just back up users' home folders. It's also good because you can go back to any particular point in time that you wish to (hence the name).

McHenryB

Admirable

Yes, that's easy to do in OS X if the problem is a lack of space on the boot drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.