Question I need help restoring the partition on my WD 8TB My Book ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
BTW what's the difference between the Red Pro's vs the Plus's? Pro's are just rated for longer life?

BTW WD seems to have a clearance on 8TBs. Maybe they're older, or they may be phasing them out? $229 each for an 8TB Red Pro. That's still $1K for the 4 drives I'd need. :/

Lastly, can you recommend a good NAS? Maybe one with room to grow?

Also, I take it that I probably shouldn't run anything from the NAS directly? For example, a movie.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
my Samsung M.2 SSD was getting up to 50 C.
SSDs often run much hotter than hard disks and 50C is nothing to get worried about.

If you thrash them M.2 SSDs hard with prolonged writes, they can hit thermal limiting (throttling) and the controller slows down to avoid overheating.

As a rough rule of thumb, I say if it's M.2 Gen.3, it doesn't really need a heatsink. If it's Gen.4, a heatsink is a good idea. If it's Gen.5, it needs a big heatsink.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
That's still $1K for the 4 drives I'd need.
Nobody said bulk storage was cheap. Just imagine how much some people spend on twelve 20TB drives.
Also, I take it that I probably shouldn't run anything from the NAS directly? For example, a movie.
Plenty of people stream movies off Plex servers. Even if it's 4K or 8K video, it's just data. Gigabit tops out around 112MB/s which is more than enough for H.265 4K playback. I use 10GbE SFP+ (optical) NICs in my desktops and servers.

What you should be cautious about is connecting your NAS to the internet. If it doesn't have antivirus, or some other protection, keep it on an isolated net.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I was looking at the WD Red Pro's. They have a deal on some of them but they're the older 8TBs that are getting bad reviews for noise and heat as they no longer have helium in them.

I was thinking 2 16TB, which will run me about $750 with tax.

Can someone recommend a 4 slot NAS that I can use just 2 slots for now, and expand later if needed?

Thanks
Nobody said bulk storage was cheap. Just imagine how much some people spend on twelve 20TB drives.

Plenty of people stream movies off Plex servers. Even if it's 4K or 8K video, it's just data. Gigabit tops out around 112MB/s which is more than enough for H.265 4K playback. I use 10GbE SFP+ (optical) NICs in my desktops and servers.

What you should be cautious about is connecting your NAS to the internet. If it doesn't have antivirus, or some other protection, keep it on an isolated net.