I need help with external display with a compaq 610 laptop.

eightysicksd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I'm trying to connect to an external monitor with my compaq 610 laptop via vga cable. The cable is connected to my laptop and my monitor but every time i hit the function key + F3, F4, etc..I cant seem to get my laptop displayed on my monitor.

I recently did a fresh install of windows xp, and wondering if a need a new driver, or if i need to change some settings around, can someone help me please?

Solution

Nice background. :)

It must be a BIOS setting. Windows does not recognize a video adapter capable of operating 2 monitors.
Either that or you are using default built-in video drivers. If so download and install real video drivers.
Right-Click the desktop, select Properties, then Settings.

There should be 2 little monitors in the window. Click the #2 monitor then check the box that shows "Extend my desktop onto this monitor" then Click "Apply"

The second monitor should now work. You can set it's resolution and color depth using the slider control there.

Drag the #2 monitor in the little windows to match the physical location of your monitors so mouse movement, dragging etc. will be correct.

Nice background. :)

It must be a BIOS setting. Windows does not recognize a video adapter capable of operating 2 monitors.
Either that or you are using default built-in video drivers. If so download and install real video drivers.

Solution