Question I need help with overclocking my Ryzen 5 3600.

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
Hello. I would like to overclock my CPU "Ryzen 5 3600" . I have added a picture of my BIOS below. My motherboard is ASRock B450 Pro4 (AM4). To begin with,I would like to push the frequency to 3.8 or 3.9 GHz. Could someone please tell me what parameters I should change and what values I should set to safely OC?

Last edited:
Hello. I would like to overclock my CPU "Ryzen 5 3600" . I have added a picture of my BIOS below. My motherboard is ASRock B450 Pro4 (AM4). To begin with,I would like to push the frequency to 3.8 or 3.9 GHz. Could someone please tell me what parameters I should change and what values I should set to safely OC?

I'm not sure you will get that much of an overclock on a 3600... your best option if you want to play around with it is to load up Ryzen master in windows and play around with settings (you can change settings on the fly and stability test). Once you find a good set of values you can then apply them permanently in the bios.

That said whenever reviewers have looked at manual overclocking with Ryzen 3000, you can usually achieve similar multi core results simply by enabling the automatic PBO function which has the added benefit of maintaining single core boost (which a manual all core OC will superseded which may actually reduce single core performance).

The other thing I would suggest if you are looking to boost performance with that part is to look at your memory configuration... Ryzen loves fast low latency ram and you can also get a benefit by running dual rank memory vs single. It depends why you are overclocking what will improve performance more - ram tuning is great for gaming performance and often nets you bigger gains that messing with the core frequency. If you are after higher multi-core application performance however memory timings will make essentially 0 difference.

Edit: Article on memory tuning for Ryzen 3000:

Last edited:
Reactions: TYPICALHUMAN

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
I'm not sure you will get that much of an overclock on a 3600... your best option if you want to play around with it is to load up Ryzen master in windows and play around with settings (you can change settings on the fly and stability test). Once you find a good set of values you can then apply them permanently in the bios.

That said whenever reviewers have looked at manual overclocking with Ryzen 3000, you can usually achieve similar multi core results simply by enabling the automatic PBO function which has the added benefit of maintaining single core boost (which a manual all core OC will superseded which may actually reduce single core performance).

The other thing I would suggest if you are looking to boost performance with that part is to look at your memory configuration... Ryzen loves fast low latency ram and you can also get a benefit by running dual rank memory vs single. It depends why you are overclocking what will improve performance more - ram tuning is great for gaming performance and often nets you bigger gains that messing with the core frequency. If you are after higher multi-core application performance however memory timings will make essentially 0 difference.
I have Ryzen Master installed. I applied "auto-oc" option (not sure what it really does) because when frequency is set manually by me even by +100mhz the temperatures under stress are very high. I have 0 experience with RAM overclocking. I currently use "HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB (dual channel), 3600MHz, CL17 but my RAM speed is set to 2400Mhz only. I guess I can benefit a lot by OCing it. How safe is overclocking RAM? My PSU is "SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 Gold 750W along with said Ryzen and GTX 1660super. Could you assist me with overclocking memory? If do, do you need any information?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just turn on PBO and it will auto oc itself as much as it can within power and thermal limits.

i've yet to see anyone get better results with manually setting an oc. i have a 3600 and 3600x in my house and both break 4 ghz with PBO enabled. even better they don't take a lot of juice so even a budget cooler works fine. think i see about 110-120w out of the 3600x with it on torture test. the 3600 should not get that high, around 100w used or so.

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
just turn on PBO and it will auto oc itself as much as it can within power and thermal limits.

i've yet to see anyone get better results with manually setting an oc. i have a 3600 and 3600x in my house and both break 4 ghz with PBO enabled. even better they don't take a lot of juice so even a budget cooler works fine. think i see about 110-120w out of the 3600x with it on torture test. the 3600 should not get that high, around 100w used or so.
I'm walking through BIOS settings and cannot find PBO. I found the official Manual for my mainboard but cannot find it in the document either. Could you kindly have a look?
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450M%20Pro4.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwis-t3h0KH7AhULVPEDHW_LAH8QFnoECAoQAg&usg=AOvVaw3i6GcLvuwQ73OCZpQhQdCs

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
I am also interested in making my RAM modules faster as cdrkf stated. Could someone briefly elaborate on what I should pay attention to when overclocking and how to get started? I don't want to mess something up

Try CTR 2.1.

Run a diagnostic. When it's done (it may reboot a few times), just let it finish the diagnostic. Once complete it will rate your CPU, and set 3 profiles for your CPU. You can choose to load them up with Windows start and change the profiles very easily if you wanted to (but I'd suggest you don't change them).

Lowest option will give you an all core undervolt and test for max CPU clocks at that voltage.

Next option will be a decent all core OC, with as low voltage as possible, typically 1.2v or less.

Highest option is a hybrid mix, between single core boosts, and max all core OC.

It's very useful.

Just a note, though. TO use CTR 2.1 you should not run PBO or change any bios settings other than ram DOCP/XMP. Everything else should be on auto.

Here's a guide: ClockTuner v2.1 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide - Introduction (guru3d.com)

Thank me later.

Also on that board you should have room to upgrade. I’ve got a 5900x on mine, though I’d say a good upgrade is a 5700x especially if you don’t want to have to deal with getting an aio installed. But that board has some legs. I’m using my 5900x with 32gb ddr4 3200 and a 6700xt.
5800x 3d would be a good call too. Not only sticks to a strict enough thermal envelope, but it can also beat even the best of Intel/AMD new gen in some games. Fit's nicely with all B450/550 mobo's.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
5800x 3d would be a good call too. Not only sticks to a strict enough thermal envelope, but it can also beat even the best of Intel/AMD new gen in some games. Fit's nicely with all B450/550 mobo's.

You are likely right. Personally I've already got the the 5900x and it can be a beast to tame, ended up adding a 240mm aio so it's pretty happy now.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I'm walking through BIOS settings and cannot find PBO. I found the official Manual for my mainboard but cannot find it in the document either. Could you kindly have a look?
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450M%20Pro4.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwis-t3h0KH7AhULVPEDHW_LAH8QFnoECAoQAg&usg=AOvVaw3i6GcLvuwQ73OCZpQhQdCs

looks like page 55. the first option of the OC tweaker tab. it does not go into detail but if you click cpu frequency and voltage it should give an option to turn it on. could say PBO or might say "auto". not used to this bios so not sure but it looks like should be there as i don't see another place to deal with overclocking.

should also turn off cool and quiet mode on page 58. that limits power and such to keep it cooler than needed.

as a side note i also threw in a 5900x on my b450 board when the price dropped :) added one of those peerless assassin III coolers and it is one happy cpu!!

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
Try CTR 2.1.

Run a diagnostic. When it's done (it may reboot a few times), just let it finish the diagnostic. Once complete it will rate your CPU, and set 3 profiles for your CPU. You can choose to load them up with Windows start and change the profiles very easily if you wanted to (but I'd suggest you don't change them).

Lowest option will give you an all core undervolt and test for max CPU clocks at that voltage.

Next option will be a decent all core OC, with as low voltage as possible, typically 1.2v or less.

Highest option is a hybrid mix, between single core boosts, and max all core OC.

It's very useful.

Just a note, though. TO use CTR 2.1 you should not run PBO or change any bios settings other than ram DOCP/XMP. Everything else should be on auto.

Here's a guide: ClockTuner v2.1 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide - Introduction (guru3d.com)

Thank me later.
Thanks for telling me that. I would like to make sure if I did all steps properly. Ran diagnostic in CTR, after that activated px profile. The problem with the app is I don't see any difference it does to my CPU frequency anymore. I see same speeds no matter if profile activated or not when run system stability test in Aida64. For a short time after profile activation my clocks went up to 4.6GHz but it does not happen anymore. Clocks won't go higher than 4.2GHz. In addition I boosted RAM speeds in UEFI from 2400Mhz to 2733Mhz (Bluescreen appears at 2800Mhz and above). Why Can't I overclock RAM above 2733Mhz and Does CTR work as expected despite no clock speed difference or did I do something wrong? Furthermore I cannot access forums on desktop (too many redirections error) hence I took a photo of my screen and sent this post via mobile.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E_G3m1NnCFwBBzTXFF3RGbC_Ca4JUXGZ/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for telling me that. I would like to make sure if I did all steps properly. Ran diagnostic in CTR, after that activated px profile. The problem with the app is I don't see any difference it does to my CPU frequency anymore. I see same speeds no matter if profile activated or not when run system stability test in Aida64. For a short time after profile activation my clocks went up to 4.6GHz but it does not happen anymore. Clocks won't go higher than 4.2GHz. In addition I boosted RAM speeds in UEFI from 2400Mhz to 2733Mhz (Bluescreen appears at 2800Mhz and above). Why Can't I overclock RAM above 2733Mhz and Does CTR work as expected despite no clock speed difference or did I do something wrong? Furthermore I cannot access forums on desktop (too many redirections error) hence I took a photo of my screen and sent this post via mobile.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E_G3m1NnCFwBBzTXFF3RGbC_Ca4JUXGZ/view?usp=drivesdk

With regards to the ram speed - you will also need to adjust your ram voltage setting to achieve the rated speed. The default voltage for DDR4 ram is 1.2V, however most higher clocked kits require more than this (typically 1.3 - 1.4V) to hit their rated speed.

In the section of the bios where the ram speed setting is, there should also be a voltage setting. If you are unsure what the voltage should be for your kit it should be printed on the module itself or on the box for the memory kit. Set the voltage to the value specified with the ram kit and then try increasing the speed again, should be more stable.

Edit: looking your kit up online, correct voltage appears to be 1.35

Hmmm, make sure to save each profile when the diagnostic is complete. Once saved then they P1/P2 Profiles should have the clocks on them.

It looks as if you've only saved the PX. The PX profile is the fastest/hottest. When i was testing this software, I used the P2 Profile, and bumped the clock speed up a notch.

The results will also be determined by your cooling, and the quality of the chip.

Edit: You can also hit the calculate P2 button, and it will do that test on it's own.

Last edited: