Question I need help with temps after overclocking my RX 6800 GPU ?

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
mobo: msi 790-a pro ddr4
cpu: i5-12600kf
gpu: XFX Speedster SWFT319 ,Radeon™ RX 6800
memory: G.skill ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) ddr4-3200
display: acer nitro 1440p 180hz 27" widescreen
psu: msi mag a650bn 650W
storage: 1tb m.2 SSD
case: thermaltake mid tower my friend gifted me
cooler: hyper 212 halo black

So I know how to overclock my gpu and I love the performance bump when I do it. The problem I'm having is with my temperatures. My gpu hotspot temperature gets up to 97-99 degrees. while my gpu temperature is about 85 degrees......... is it safe to overclock if it reaches these temperatures? If not what can I do to help reduce the temperatures?

without overclocking my gpu temperature is about 76 degrees and my hotspot temp is at 90

Will replacing my cpu cooler for a better one help with this?

I know my cpu cooler is pretty bad and my power supply is only 650w which doesnt help either..... not sure what I should do or if its safe to run at those temps

Graphics cards run hot, but they are built to tolerate heat.
It is typical for a card to target 80c and run as best as they can at that temperature.
You have exceeded that and are pleased with the results.
Good, but don't get greedy and damage your card.
Modern intel chips are designed to run at 100c.
Gamers do not usually benefit from overclocking all cores.
Chips are binned, and if your 12600K were capable of more, it would have been used in a 12700k.
Games depend on the master thread for performance.
It is likely more effective to let the turbo boost of a couple of cores work.
There may be value in upgrading the hyper 212.
A better cooler will let performance boost higher before hitting the 100c. mark

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Graphics cards run hot, but they are built to tolerate heat.
It is typical for a card to target 80c and run as best as they can at that temperature.
You have exceeded that and are pleased with the results.
Good, but don't get greedy and damage your card.
Modern intel chips are designed to run at 100c.
Gamers do not usually benefit from overclocking all cores.
Chips are binned, and if your 12600K were capable of more, it would have been used in a 12700k.
Games depend on the master thread for performance.
It is likely more effective to let the turbo boost of a couple of cores work.
There may be value in upgrading the hyper 212.
A better cooler will let performance boost higher before hitting the 100c. mark
I'm more concerned about my hotspot temp being about 102 degrees while overclocking. I read its ok but idk.. my normal gpu temperatures (on the edge) is at 85 degrees

I just felt my gpu and its pretty hot ... my halo black doesn't seem that hot to touch however.. seems like my gpu produces a lot of heat when I overclock it.... You think I'll be ok?

Do you actually think I could overclock my cpu too? Will it even help my performance at this stage?

Last edited:
mobo: msi 790-a pro ddr4
cpu: i5-12600kf
gpu: XFX Speedster SWFT319 ,Radeon™ RX 6800
memory: G.skill ripjaws V 16GB (2x8) ddr4-3200
display: acer nitro 1440p 180hz 27" widescreen
psu: msi mag a650bn 650W
storage: 1tb m.2 SSD
case: thermaltake mid tower my friend gifted me
cooler: hyper 212 halo black

So I know how to overclock my gpu and I love the performance bump when I do it. The problem I'm having is with my temperatures. My gpu hotspot temperature gets up to 97-99 degrees. while my gpu temperature is about 85 degrees......... is it safe to overclock if it reaches these temperatures? If not what can I do to help reduce the temperatures?

without overclocking my gpu temperature is about 76 degrees and my hotspot temp is at 90

Will replacing my cpu cooler for a better one help with this?

I know my cpu cooler is pretty bad and my power supply is only 650w which doesnt help either..... not sure what I should do or if its safe to run at those temps

it should be noted you shouldn't overclock your way under the minimum spec of that card it should be a 750w power supply minimum.

what is the exact pc case might be able to get the airflow better controlled if your unsure take a snap shot and post a imgur

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
it should be noted you shouldn't overclock your way under the minimum spec of that card it should be a 750w power supply minimum.

what is the exact pc case might be able to get the airflow better controlled if your unsure take a snap shot and post a imgur
it seems to be working just fine atm :) overclocking the hell outta my gpu right now but thx

also I had to read your message 5 times to figure out what you were actually trying to say... waz poorly written imo

just wondering if I should overclock my cpu too................................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
the good thing about the 6800... well theres a lot of them.... but it doesn't actually need that much power

part of the reason I bought one but thx

just crushing it with 1440p and 180 fps

Hot spot temps can vary based on what cooler and how the PCB is layed out, generally on the 6000 series, 110C is considered safe and should start to throttle around that, it is normal to see upwards of 100+C on hotspot. My 6800xt in my server I know for a fact got around 100C as well.

But consider overclocking differently, Memory sure push it until you can't or its unstable, The core however might benefit you better with an under volt, I wouldn't push it the core to the bleeding edge when you can undervolt somewhat and let the boost do it for you, At 85C the card will step its clocks down a notch, well at least my 6800xt did. The cooler the core and hotspot and less power draw will allow the card to boost higher and longer, I would of course max out the power limit sider.

Bunch of videos about it. Might help to have a pen and paper or save the profiles for testing of course.

Good Luck

Maximuzzm

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Hot spot temps can vary based on what cooler and how the PCB is layed out, generally on the 6000 series, 110C is considered safe and should start to throttle around that, it is normal to see upwards of 100+C on hotspot. My 6800xt in my server I know for a fact got around 100C as well.

But consider overclocking differently, Memory sure push it until you can't or its unstable, The core however might benefit you better with an under volt, I wouldn't push it the core to the bleeding edge when you can undervolt somewhat and let the boost do it for you, At 85C the card will step its clocks down a notch, well at least my 6800xt did. The cooler the core and hotspot and less power draw will allow the card to boost higher and longer, I would of course max out the power limit sider.

Bunch of videos about it. Might help to have a pen and paper or save the profiles for testing of course.

Good Luck
Hey thanks. It seems to be running good but ill look into it some more