[SOLVED] I need more memory for work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

peaceduke

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Hi !

Sometimes each frame of image/video file takes 300-400 megabites , to see the results it needs caching.
One second of such video takes 10gigs of ram in cache , which makes impossible to cache 30second video and watch it
to make work comfortable in such environment through RAM, it needs almost 512 gigs of RAM, which is complete overkill.

what if buy fastest nvme, let's say rocket 4gen sarbent with 5000mb/s sequential read speed (hope read frame by frame from drive pretty much means "sequential read" right ?
and set paging file of any size on 1TB drive like that. I know it's still not close to be DDR4 RAM , but at least way better than just render out and watch every time I need to see result.
what do you think ? will caching be fast with above solution ?

Last edited:
Solution
right, that exact situation of putting cache into pagefile.
And you can't control it like that.
They are two different things, controlled by different entities.

I have a SATA III drive dedicated to cache files, scratch space, libraries for various applications.
Lightroom, Hitfilm Express, Paintshop Pro, Rhino3D, etc.

Use of the pagefile is controlled by the OS.

They can live on the same drive.
But they don't work together.

USAFRet

Titan
right, that exact situation of putting cache into pagefile.
And you can't control it like that.
They are two different things, controlled by different entities.

I have a SATA III drive dedicated to cache files, scratch space, libraries for various applications.
Lightroom, Hitfilm Express, Paintshop Pro, Rhino3D, etc.

Use of the pagefile is controlled by the OS.

They can live on the same drive.
But they don't work together.

Solution

B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
USAFRet
" that is not the same as your vid editing and rendering. But... "
it's not same, yes.

kanewolf , "You haven't provided any description of the rest of the system the NVMe would be part of. "

it's not necessary, you want me to build virtual PC in my post , in same time you know very well that you will focus only on its actually involved parts anyway , which is nvme and ddr4 ram (no matter how much it will be).

asus motherboard with PCI4 gen , did that helped you ?
PSU that will feed enough power to system , and 8-12 core modern CPU.

"But if the "expert" forums haven't helped and you believe that similar specific experience is required, you may not find it here. "

not similar specific experience , just experience with putting video cache on nvme, it's broader.

I posted question couple of hours ago, and you're sending me somewhere to other forums, I never said I need answers now or today, sometimes I'm getting most valuable information after weeks after I post them here.
Please, you will find that this forum is mush more helpful when you come here with an open mind. Being defensive about anything will lessen the amount of help you can get. Give us a straight question and we can give you a straight answer. We cannot calculate how to get to the moon if the only data we get is 1+1.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Reactions: froggx