[SOLVED] I need some help with my headphones and amp.

CrosshairPvP

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
Right now I am using the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohms and a Fiio Olympus to as my DAC amp. It works great but I got the Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) as I'm getting the at2035 mic not knowing that it won't support my 250-ohm headphones. I don't know how I would set it up with my headphones. The Scarlett doesn't go to 250ohms and I'm not sure if I can use my Fiio DAC as an amp and then run it through the Scarlett. Any help would be great!

Solution
D
D

Deleted member 217926

The Scarlett Solo should drive the 990s.

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B07QR6Z1JB?th=1

First question and answer:

" can this power 250 ohm headphones?

Answer:

Hi,

As a general rule, we believe that the headphone output on the 3rd generation of Scarlett interfaces will supply enough volume to the listener when using headphones with impedances of up to 250 ohms. However, this is also dependant on a number of different factors and not just the power the output supplies - for example the sensitivity of the headphones you're intending to use, how loud each individual prefers to listen to music, and the effect of any background noise. There is more to the headphone specs than just the power output. We've tested the new design with a variety of different headphone models here, with a wide impedance range without issue. Unfortunately it's often difficult to say whether a particular headphone model is likely to work well with a particular headphone amp design without testing that combination first!

Best regards,

Laurence Clarke // Focusrite Technical Support"

If it can drive some 250ohm headphones the 990s are on the list as they aren't terribly hard to drive. Bright enough to make your ears bleed but not too hard to get loud.

Solution

CrosshairPvP

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
The Scarlett Solo should drive the 990s.

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B07QR6Z1JB?th=1

First question and answer:

" can this power 250 ohm headphones?

Answer:

Hi,

As a general rule, we believe that the headphone output on the 3rd generation of Scarlett interfaces will supply enough volume to the listener when using headphones with impedances of up to 250 ohms. However, this is also dependant on a number of different factors and not just the power the output supplies - for example the sensitivity of the headphones you're intending to use, how loud each individual prefers to listen to music, and the effect of any background noise. There is more to the headphone specs than just the power output. We've tested the new design with a variety of different headphone models here, with a wide impedance range without issue. Unfortunately it's often difficult to say whether a particular headphone model is likely to work well with a particular headphone amp design without testing that combination first!

Best regards,

Laurence Clarke // Focusrite Technical Support"

If it can drive some 250ohm headphones the 990s are on the list as they aren't terribly hard to drive. Bright enough to make your ears bleed but not too hard to get loud.
Oh wow, I'm upset I didn't see that. If it works it works I guess. I just have to go buy an adapter to be able to plug it into the Scarlett bc my headset jack is too big. If it doesn't work, such as if it's not loud enough, could I just run my headset into the Fiio DAC and then run that out into the Scarlett?

D

Deleted member 217926

An E10K? Not sure if you can connect the DAC portion of one to the amp part of the other. I actually doubt they have the right outs.

alirezafixer21

Honorable
Sep 21, 2018
This is wrong !
all of the Focursite scarlett series support 250ohm headphones but they cant go loud without headphone amp ( youtube volume output test review )
i think most of the Soudcards cant fully drive dt 990 pro 250 ohm
if you want high volume
you need headphone amp

Schiit Magni henesy headphone amp is great